Ante Tomić (basketball)
Tomić in 2016
|No. 44 – FC Barcelona Lassa|
February 17, 1987 |
Dubrovnik, SR Croatia, SFR Yugoslavia
|Listed height||7 ft 1.5 in (2.17 m)|
|Listed weight||262 lb (119 kg)|
|NBA draft||2008 / Round: 2 / Pick: 44th overall|
|Selected by the Utah Jazz|
|Career highlights and awards|
Ante Tomić (born February 17, 1987) is a Croatian professional basketball player for Barcelona of the Spanish League. He also represents the Croatian national basketball team in the international competitions. Standing at 7 ft 1.5 in (2.17 m), he plays the center position.
Tomić started playing basketball in his native city, Dubrovnik, and in 2004 signed for Zagreb. It was in the Croatia's capital that he made his name, both at home and abroad. In Zagreb, he won the Croatian Cup (2008), and was league Adriatic League's MVP in 2009. In 2008, he was a second-round pick in the NBA Draft for Utah Jazz, but his future was in the Liga Endesa.
In January 2010, he moved to Real Madrid for three seasons. In his first season at Real Madrid, the Croatian centre played sixteen games in the regular Liga Endesa season, averaging 8 points and 5.4 rebounds in a total of 348 minutes. He played in eight play-off games, averaging 9.5 points and 5.9 rebounds. His Euroleague stats were very similar. He scored an average of 11 points per game and also had 3.6 rebounds and made 1.7 steals.
In the 2010–11 season, he played 32 ACB regular-season games, getting 10 points and four rebounds a game, in a total of 613 minutes of play. In the play-offs, in six games, he had 10 points and 5.6 rebounds. Tomić thus completed his finest Liga Endesa season yet and was named to the All-ACB Team. In 2011–12, his team won the Copa del Rey, beating Barça Regal in the final at the Palau Sant Jordi. In the play-offs, he was on court in 12 games and collected similar stats: he left Real Madrid with 7.25 points and 6 rebounds. After the third year, the all-whites opted not to extend his contract.
On July 5, 2012, Ante Tomić signed with Barça Regal for three seasons, with an option for one more. In the Euroleague 2012–13 season, he was named to the All-Euroleague First Team, and in the 2012–13 ACB season, he was included to the All-ACB Team.
In March 2014, Tomić became the first player ever to receive Euroleague MVP of the Month award twice in a row and even twice in the same season. In May, he was named to the All-Euroleague First Team, for the second year in a row.
On April 27, 2015, he agreed to a new tentative three-year deal with Barcelona. In May 2015, he was chosen to the All-Euroleague Second Team for the performances he put over the season. Statistically, he had the best season since coming in the club, averaging 11.5 points and career-highs of 7.1 rebounds and 2.3 assists over 28 games played in the Euroleague.
On June 16, 2015, he signed a three-year contract extension with Barcelona. Barcelona eventually finished the season losing in the final series of the Spanish League championship, after 3–0 loss to Real Madrid.
Croatian national team
He has played for Croatia, at every level. In 2009, he won gold at the Mediterranean Games in Pescara (Italy) and as a full international appeared on all competitions on which Croatia has qualified. He has appeared at the World Championship in Turkey in 2010, Eurobasket in Lithuania in 2011 and Slovenia in 2013. He also represented Croatia at the 2015 EuroBasket, where they were eliminated in the eighth finals by Czech Republic.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field-goal percentage||3P%||3-point field-goal percentage||FT%||Free-throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||PIR||Performance Index Rating|
Note: The Euroleague is not the only competition in which the player participated for the team during the season. He also played in domestic competition, and regional competition if applicable.
Awards and accomplishments
- Croatian Cup Champion: (2008)
- 2x Spanish Cup Champion: (2012, 2013)
- Spanish League Champion: (2013–14)
- Adriatic League MVP: (2009)
- 2x All-ACB Team: (2011, 2013)
- 2x All-Euroleague First Team (2013, 2014)
- All-Euroleague Second Team (2015)
- euroleague.net Euroleague.net 2012-13 All-Euroleague First and Second Teams announced.
- acb.com Mejor Quinteto de la Liga Endesa 2012-13 (in Spanish)
- "bwin MVP for March: Ante Tomic, FC Barcelona". Euroleague. March 31, 2014. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "2013-14 All-Euroleague First and Second Teams announced". Euroleague. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "Ante Tomic continuará en el FC Barcelona". mundodeportivo.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- "All-Euroleague First and Second Teams announced". euroleague.net. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- "FC Barcelona extends Ante Tomic through 2018". Sportando.com. 16 June 2015. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Real Madrid make it 4 out of 4". marca.com (in Spanish). 24 June 2015. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "CROATIA UNVEIL AMBITIOUS EUROBASKET SQUAD". eurobasket2015.org. 4 September 2015. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "CZECHS MAKE FIRST QUARTER-FINAL TRIP". .eurobasket2015.org. 13 September 2015. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ante Tomić.|