Antelope Valley High School
|Antelope Valley High School|
|44900 Division Street
Lancaster, California, Los Angeles County 93535
|School district||Antelope Valley Union High School District|
|NCES District ID||0602820|
|CEEB code||051355 |
|NCES School ID||060282000203|
|Principal||Jodie Radford |
|Number of students||1,775|
|Color(s)||Black and Red|
|Website||Antelope Valley High School website|
Antelope Valley High School is located in Lancaster, California, and is part of the Antelope Valley Union High School District, in northernmost Los Angeles County, California. It was founded in 1912, and had its first graduating class in 1912. It is located near the western edge of the Mojave Desert. At the time of its founding, the school was a residential boarding school serving students from farms and ranches from north Los Angeles and south Kern counties. At present, the school primarily serves the population of Lancaster, California. During the 1960s, the high school served as meeting ground for musicians Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart (Don Van Vliet), Rockette Morton (Mark Boston), Carl Dante (Film Composer) and Zoot Horn Rollo (Bill Harkleroad).
Notable alumni include:
- Frank Zappa
- Captain Beefheart (Don Van Vliet)
- Mike Gaechter, former Dallas Cowboys defensive back.
- Kevin Appier
- Priscilla Barnes of Three's Company
- Steve Chilcott, number one pick in the 1966 Major League Baseball draft
- Sean Douglass
- Dwayne Murphy
- Terence McKenna, a writer, philosopher, and ethnobotanist.
- Jim Slaton, former Milwaukee Brewers pitcher, current bullpen coach, Seattle Mariners.
- Marcy Walker, soap opera actress
- Bruce Hill, former Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver
- Lon Boyett, NFL player
- Judy Garland, Actress
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Antelope Valley Union High School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 3 February 2013.
- "LIST OF HIGH SCHOOLS". https://secure.californiacolleges.edu. Retrieved 3 February 2013. External link in
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Antelope Valley High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 3 February 2013.
- "Administration". Antelope Valley High School. Retrieved 3 February 2013.
- Antelope Valley High School, Lancaster, CA at NNDB
- Kevin Appier at the Baseball Cube
- Three's Company Cast Biographies
- Sean Douglass at the Baseball Cube
- Dwayne Murphy at the Baseball Cube
- Jim Slaton, Antelope Valley High School, AVSports.com Hall of Fame. Accessed August 28, 2007.