Antena 3 (Romania)
This article's factual accuracy may be compromised due to out-of-date information. (July 2012)
|Launched||27 June 2005|
|Owned by||Antena TV Group Intact Media Group|
|Picture format||16:9 (1080i, HDTV)|
|Audience share||3.3% (Dec 2008, )|
|Slogan||România e aici |
(Romania is here, 2018-present)
Antena 3 e aici
(Specialists In News, 2005-2012)
|Broadcast area||Romania, Serbia|
|Sister channel(s)||Antena 1 (Romania), Antena Stars,|
Happy Channel, Antena Internaţional
|UPC Romania||Channel 402 (LCN)|
Channel 22 (digital)
Antena 3 is a Romanian news channel known for its pro government views, and widely viewed as untrustworthy. Antena 3 focuses on news programmes and current events, mainly with political topics. It was launched in June 2005 as the second Romanian 24h news channel, after Realitatea TV being the first launched in 2001, and is part of the Intact Media Group. Antena 3 is also distributed in Serbia in the Romanian language-extra package of the DTH platform Digi TV. The official website of the TV channel hosts all daily shows which are made available for watching in an archive that is generally reloaded every month. Starting 2006 the TV channel also allowed online users to watch it live on the internet on its official website, and now on their on-demand subscription service Antenaplay.
Antena 3 has constant rivalry with the other major Romanian news station, Realitatea TV, owned by former electoral campaign director, former politician and geopolitical analyst Cozmin Gușă and formerly owned by various controversial and politically influential political figures such as Elan Schwartzenberg, Sebastian Ghiță, Sorin Ovidiu Vântu and Silviu Prigoană.
The channel is affiliated CNN International since 2011, after CNN ceased their affiliation with Realitatea TV. However, since 2016, some of their programmes have broadcast Fox News news materials, reports about possible political implications of George Soros in civic movements, funded NGO's and protests in Romania and most of their head anchors showed support and sympathy during the 2016 U.S. elections to candidate and now U.S. President Donald Trump, holding generally a right-wing like attitude in these topic, even though their channel is against most right-wing political parties in Romania, except for ALDE.
The channel recently showed a soft-eurosceptic attitude after heads of the European Commission cautioned and criticised the Romanian government for the penal code modifications which might affect the rule of law in Romania, but generally swings after Jean Claude Juncker's positive view of Romania entering the Schengen area and after saying that "Romania is ready to take the presidency of the EU Council", that contradicts Iohannis' negative remarks that "the Romanian government is not ready to take the responsibility of the presidency".
Antena 3 is a part of the Romanian media trust (Intact) that has a 14.6% of the Romanian media market. It is a 24 hours news channel with pretty much allegiance to the Romanian centre-left wing political spectrum and relates more positively about the centre-left government coalition of PSD and ALDE than the usual media, usually inviting ministers, MPs and political figures of the PSD-ALDE government coalition than the opposition that is usually just one guest, rarely being the opposition parties leaders, and reflects in a mostly negative perspective the opposition parties and the actualpresidential administration. Largely known for launching heavy campaigns against the former head of the DNA, Laura Codruța Kövesi because of her allegedly abusive and "Soviet-style" management of the institution and using it as a "mechanism of secret police" by the Romanian Intelligence Service in favour of the presidential power, calling it repeatedly as the "deep state" the "parallel state" or the "binomial power".
The channel has been accused of taking a series of biased positions during the coverage of Dan Voiculescu's conviction and arrest, about the GRIVCO criminal files, and excess of zeal during an judiciary requirement to where were forced to leave the building where their headquarters and studios are located in several days after confiscation by the fiscal authorities (ANAF). It is one of the most viewed Romanian news channels, leading in television ratings on the news segment in prime-time hours together with Romania TV (mostly above and sometimes second to Antena 3 in ratings) and are regarded as the most supportive of the Romanian government, others being Realitatea TV and Digi24 with the most opponent and critical attitude of the PSD-ALDE government and partially neutral B1 TV (although very rival to Antena 3 until the end of the Băsescu presidency) and TVR, the Romanian public broadcaster. The station's website receives an average between of 300,000 to 400,000 visitors a day being one of the most visited Romanian websites on the market. By comparison, Gazeta Sporturilor, a media product owned by Ringier, gets more than one million hits a day. The station is one of the five Romanian TV channels that have live anchors from 06:00 every morning to 01:00 every night.
- "ARMA 2008_12" (PDF). ARMA. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-06-02.
- "Romania - Reuters Institute Digital News Report". digitalnewsreport.org. Retrieved 2019-05-13.
- "The Reuters study regarding the media market in Romania: Romania TV and Antena 3 – last for trust". actmedia.eu. Retrieved 2019-05-13.
"Thus, the Reuters study shows that Romania TV and Antena 3 have the lowest degree of trust out of 15 media taken into consideration."
- "Romania: The power of the media moguls". eurotopics.net. Retrieved 2019-05-13.
"Thanks to the anti-corruption campaign, a number of well-known media entrepreneurs have been brought to book in the meantime, including Dan Voiculescu, whose media trust Intact owns the private TV channel Antena 3. Voiculescu served nearly three years in prison for money laundering and fraud."
- "Reporters Without Borders highlights erosion of media freedom in Romania". emerging-europe.com. Retrieved 2019-05-13.
"Pro-government channels Romania TV and Antena 3 violated basic journalistic ethics in their coverage of protests in 2017 and 2018 by including false information designed to suggest, for example, that the Hungarian-born US billionaire philanthropist George Soros was behind the protests and that he tried to sway the outcome of the 2016 parliamentary elections.
"Romania TV is also behind a smear campaign against the effective anti-corruption unit, the DNA. The owner of Antena 3, Dan Voiculescu, is a convicted criminal, while the owner of Romania TV, Sebastian Ghita, is currently in Serbia awaiting extradition to Romania on a number of corruption charges."
- "Populism and illiberal democracy in Romania: The role of media in the erosion of Romanian democracy". academos.ro. Retrieved 2019-05-13.
"Antena 3 is a constant and voracious supporter of PSD (Social Democrat Party), the current party in power, whose leader, Liviu Dragnea, a politician found guilty of abuse of office, allegedly tries to weaken the justice system and make it subservient to his and PSD’s interests. PSD’s crusade on the judiciary has caused massive street protests in Romania in the last two years. By offering PSD and Dragnea himself a platform to convey their message to the people, Antena 3 helps foster the populist discourse of this party and his leader, exploiting the lack of either legal provisions for or a self-regulated editorial independence."
- "'Lack of ethics' most pressing challenge facing local media". business-review.eu. Retrieved 2019-05-13.
"The OSCE even names some TV outlets that it considers the worst offenders, such as Intact media group, which controls the most popular TV stations, including market-leader news channel Antena 3, owned by Dan Voiculescu, founder of the Conservative Party, part of the USL ruling coalition."
- "Postul de televiziune Antena 3 a semnat un contract de afiliere cu CNN International - Hotnews Mobile". mobile.hotnews.ro. Retrieved 2019-01-06.
- "Juncker: Guvernul român, pregătit să preia preşedinţia Consiliului UE. Rămân probleme la statul de drept". www.digi24.ro (in Romanian). Retrieved 2019-01-06.
- The Big 5 on the Romanian Media Market Archived October 1, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- "AUDIENȚE TV. Parada militară de 1 Decembrie, peste 4,7 milioane de telespectatori". Paginademedia.ro (in Romanian). Retrieved 2019-01-06.
- "AUDIENȚE talk-show NOIEMBRIE. România TV și Antena 3 și-au împărțit locurile în topul celor mai urmărite talk show-uri. La TVR, emisiunea lui Claudiu Lucaci, cifre peste România 9 a lui Cristache". Paginademedia.ro (in Romanian). Retrieved 2019-01-06.
- "AUDIENȚE PRIME TIME 2018. Pro TV a rămas liderul clasamentului, deși în scădere față de 2017. Posturile de nișă de filme, cifre în creștere". Paginademedia.ro (in Romanian). Retrieved 2019-01-06.
- "AUDIENȚE. Creșteri mari pentru Antena 3 și România TV în ianuarie. Postul Intact a revenit seara peste RTV la orașe. România TV, peste Antena 3 pe trei targeturi din patru". Paginademedia.ro (in Romanian). Retrieved 2019-01-06.
- "www.antena3.ro". www.trafic.ro. Retrieved 2019-01-07.
- "Top siteuri General dupa vizitatori pe zi". www.trafic.ro. Retrieved 2019-01-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Antena 3 (Romania).|