||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010)|
Antero Alli was born 11 November 1952, in Finland. Alli currently resides in Berkeley, California, where he conducts workshops and stages theatrical productions, some of which have been released as films. Alli is also a professional astrologer and has authored books on experimental theatre, astrology and Timothy Leary's 8-circuit model of consciousness.
Film and theatrical work
Alli refers to his thirty years of work in experimental theatre as paratheatre, a term borrowed from the writings of Jerzy Grotowski. He conducts private workshops in the Bay Area, some of which have evolved into public productions and provided the material for his films.
Between 1976 and 1999, Alli wrote and directed a series of stageplays exploring mystical themes in "Circles" (1976), "Coronation at Stillnight" (1977), "The Conjunction" (1978), "Chapel Perilous" (1983), "Animamundi" (1989), and "Hungry Ghosts of Albion" (1999). Between 1992 and 2002 Antero co-curated the Nomad Film Festival, a Pacific coast touring venue featuring short experimental films and videos. Since 1993, Antero has redirected his focus to the creation of underground feature-length art films with mystical themes such as "The Oracle" (1993), The Drivetime (1995), Tragos (2001), Hysteria (2002), Under a Shipwrecked Moon (2003) and The Greater Circulation (2005), a cinematic treatment of Austrian poet Rainer Maria Rilke's "Requiem For a Friend."
Alli's books span a number of subjects, but all share common themes with his paratheatrical efforts: archetypes, personal mythology and the use of ritual to transform consciousness. Like his colleague Rob Brezsny, Alli proposes a free will approach to astrology, which advocates providing clients with the information to make decisions instead of deterministic predictions. In Towards an Archaeology of the Soul (2003), Alli presents a detailed account of the theories and processes that go into his own paratheatrical creations.
- Alli, Antero (1987). AngelTech. New Falcon. ISBN 1-56184-009-2
- Alli, Antero (1988). All Rites Reversed: Ritual Technology for Self-Initiation. New Falcon. ISBN 0-941404-81-1
- Alli, Antero (1988). The Akashic Record Player: A Non-Stop Geomantic Conspiracy. New Falcon. ISBN 0-941404-91-9
- Alli, Antero (1993). Letters, Essays and Premonitions. Vigilantero Press/Vertical Pool.
- Alli, Antero and Sylvie Pickering (1996). The Vertical Oracle. Vertical Pool. ISBN 0-9657341-0-2
- Alli, Antero (1999). Astrologik. Vertical Pool. ISBN 0-9657341-0-2
- Alli, Antero (2003). Towards an Archeology of the Soul. Vertical Pool. ISBN 0-9657341-2-9
- Hyatt, Christopher S. and Antero Alli (1988 then 2006). A Modern Shaman's Guide to a Pregnant Universe. New Falcon. ISBN 1-56184-241-9
- Alli, Antero (2009). The Eight-Circuit Brain: Navigational Strategies for the Energetic Body. Vertical Pool. ISBN 978-0-9657341-3-4
- Requiem for a Friend (1991; 40 min)
- "Archaic Community (1992; 80 min) a paratheatre video document
- The Drivetime (1995; 88 min)
- The Oracle (1993; 70 min)
- Lily in Limbo (1996; 27 min)
- Tragos: A Cyber-Noir Witch Hunt (2000; 105 min)
- Roadkill (2001; 27 min)
- Hysteria (2002; 83 min)
- Under a Shipwrecked Moon (2003; 96 min)
- Orphans of Delirium (2004; 82 min) a paratheatre video document
- The Greater Circulation (2005; 93 min)
- "The Mind is a Liar and a Whore" (2007; 92 min)
- "The Invisible Forest" (2008; 111 min.)
- "To Dream of Falling Upwards" (2011; 125 min)
- "Flamingos" (2012; 90 min)
- "dreambody/earthbody" (2012; 80 min) a paratheatre video document
- "The Book of Jane" (2013; 117 min)
- "Out of the Woods" (2015; 111 min)
- Antero Alli Recordings with The Radical Change Group at 
- Alli Interviewed at Film Threat
- Talking Raven from Alli's Website
- Alli Interviewed at Key 64
- Antero Alli's Website
- Antero Alli at IMDB
- An excerpt from Alli's 'The Akashic Record Player' at Deoxy.org
- Talking Raven reviewed at Tap Root Reviews