Antero Alli is a professional astrologer who has authored books on experimental theatre, astrology and Timothy Leary's 8-circuit model of consciousness. He lives in Portland, Oregon, where he conducts workshops and stages theatrical productions, some of which have been released as films.
Film and theatrical work
Alli was born on November 11, 1952, in Finland. He calls his work in experimental theatre paratheatre, a term borrowed from the writings of Jerzy Grotowski. He conducted private paratheatrical workshops in the Bay Area (1977–83 and 1996–2015), some of which evolved into public productions and provided the material for his films. In late 2015, he relocated to Portland to continue his work.
Between 1976 and 1999, Alli wrote and directed a series of plays exploring mystical themes: Circles (1976), Coronation at Stillnight (1977), The Conjunction (1978), Chapel Perilous (1983), Animamundi (1989), and Hungry Ghosts of Albion (1999). Between 1992 and 2002 Alli co-curated the Nomad Film Festival, a Pacific coast touring venue featuring short experimental films and videos. After 1993, he focused on underground feature-length art films with mystical themes, such as The Oracle (1993), The Drivetime (1995), Tragos (2001), Hysteria (2002), Under a Shipwrecked Moon (2003), and The Greater Circulation (2005), a cinematic treatment of Rainer Maria Rilke's Requiem For a Friend. In 2015, he stopped making feature films to return full-time to creating intermedia ritual-based theatre works such as Turbulence of Muses (2016), Bardoville (2017), and Soror Mystica (2017).
Alli's books span a number of subjects, but all share common themes with his paratheatrical efforts: archetypes, personal mythology and the use of ritual to transform consciousness. Like his colleague Rob Brezsny, Alli proposes a free will approach to astrology, which provides clients with information to make decisions rather than deterministic predictions; in his introduction to Astrologik, Brezsny calls Alli's approach "a rowdy and iridescent system of astrology that liberates and never ensnares." In Towards an Archaeology of the Soul (2003), Alli presents a detailed account of the theories and processes that go into his own paratheatrical creations.
- Alli, Antero (1987). AngelTech. New Falcon. ISBN 1-56184-009-2
- Alli, Antero (1988). All Rites Reversed: Ritual Technology for Self-Initiation. New Falcon. ISBN 0-941404-81-1
- Alli, Antero (1988). The Akashic Record Player: A Non-Stop Geomantic Conspiracy. New Falcon. ISBN 0-941404-91-9
- Alli, Antero (1990). Astrologik. Vigilantero Press. ISBN 0-9616829-1-4
- Alli, Antero (1993). Letters, Essays and Premonitions. Vigilantero Press/Vertical Pool.
- Alli, Antero and Sylvie Pickering (1996). The Vertical Oracle. Vertical Pool. ISBN 0-9657341-0-2
- Alli, Antero (2003). Towards an Archeology of the Soul. Vertical Pool. ISBN 0-9657341-2-9
- Hyatt, Christopher S. and Antero Alli (1988 then 2006). A Modern Shaman's Guide to a Pregnant Universe. New Falcon. ISBN 1-56184-241-9
- Alli, Antero (2009). The Eight-Circuit Brain: Navigational Strategies for the Energetic Body. Vertical Pool. ISBN 978-0-9657341-3-4
- Alli, Antero (2020). "State of Emergence: Experiments in Group Ritual Dynamics". The Original Falcon Press. ISBN 978-1-935150-71-8
- Requiem for a Friend (1991; 40 min)
- Archaic Community (1992; 80 min) a paratheatre video document
- The Drivetime (1995; 88 min)
- The Oracle (1993; 70 min)
- Lily in Limbo (1996; 27 min)
- Tragos: A Cyber-Noir Witch Hunt (2000; 105 min)
- Roadkill (2001; 27 min)
- Hysteria (2002; 83 min)
- Under a Shipwrecked Moon (2003; 96 min)
- Orphans of Delirium (2004; 82 min) a paratheatre video document
- The Greater Circulation (2005; 93 min)
- The Mind is a Liar and a Whore (2007; 92 min)
- The Invisible Forest (2008; 111 min.)
- To Dream of Falling Upwards (2011; 125 min)
- Flamingos (2012; 90 min)
- dreambody/earthbody (2012; 80 min) a paratheatre video document
- The Book of Jane (2013; 117 min)
- Sylvani (2015-2021; 83 min)
- The Vanishing Field (2020; 72 min)
- The Alchemy of Sulphur (2021; 109 min)
- Alli, Antero (2003). Towards an Archeology of the Soul (limited 1st ed.). Berkeley, California: Vertical Pool. p. 1. ISBN 0-9657341-2-9. Retrieved 5 January 2021.
- Rufus, Anneli Star Josselin (9 September 2009). "The Concept-Free Zone". East Bay Express. Retrieved 5 January 2021.
- Alli, Antero. "Antero Alli: Chronology, 1970 to present day". paratheatrical.com. Retrieved 5 January 2021.
- "Indie Filmmaker Spotlight: Antero Alli". filmthreat.com. Retrieved 5 January 2021.
- "Antero Alli Filmography". imdb.com. Retrieved 5 January 2021.
- Mathews, Andrew Neil. ""Soror Mystica" review: breaking the frame". Oregon Artswatch Archive. Oregon Artswatch. Retrieved 5 January 2021.
- Brezsny, Rob (1999). Warning (Introduction to Astrologik). Berkley, California: Vertical Pool. ISBN 0965734110.
- "Talking raven: A Journal of Imaginative Trouble". paratheatrical.com.
- Etzwiler, R.R. Lee. "Talking Raven Vol. 3 #2 Autumn equinox 1993". TapRoot Reviews. Retrieved 5 January 2021.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 26 January 2007. Retrieved 18 June 2020.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Antero Alli Recordings with The Radical Change Group at
- Alli Interviewed at Film Threat
- Talking Raven from Alli's Website
- Alli Interviewed at Key 64