Turner at a book signing in 2008
Anthea Millicent Turner
25 May 1960
|Occupation||Journalist, television presenter and media personality|
Blue Peter (1992–94)
Top of the Pops (1988–91)
Perfect Housewife (2006–07)
|Spouse(s)||Peter Powell (1990–98; divorced)|
Grant Bovey (2000–15; divorced)
Turner was born in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire and educated at the direct grant grammar catholic school St Dominic's High School for Girls, Brewood, South Staffordshire. She was one of three daughters born to her parents Brian and Jean Turner. One of her sisters, Ruth, died aged 15. Her other sister is presenter Wendy Turner Webster.
Turner joined BBC Radio Stoke as a runner, eventually joining breakfast show presenter Bruno Brookes as part of his rap crew. The couple became romantically involved and employed Peter Powell as an agent through his management company.
Turner moved into television through Sky Channel and Music Box presenting live music programmes from July 1986 to 1989. Her debut on national television was with the BBC on But First This, which led to her fronting two series for the BBC on the Saturday morning show UP2U.
Turner presented the children's television show Blue Peter from 27 June 1992 to 29 June 1994, and around this time was also associated with publicising 'The Y Plan', a system of exercise developed by the London YMCA. She moved on to presenting on Totally Live on pan-European music channel Music Box, followed by GMTV which she presented from July 1994 to 24 December 1996.
Turner was also a host on the first National Lottery draw on BBC One on 19 November 1994 with Noel Edmonds and Gordon Kennedy. She remained as sole host of the National Lottery Live until 20 April 1996, when she defected to ITV and the travel show Wish You Were Here...?, becoming the second highest paid female television presenter in the UK, after Cilla Black.
The relationship between Turner and her GMTV co-presenter Eamonn Holmes was frosty, with Holmes issuing an ultimatum to the GMTV management that he would leave if they did not sack his colleague; as a result of this Turner lost her job. After Bovey left his wife Della for Turner, with ensuing tabloid interest, Turner's career went into a decline. Her autobiography Fools Rush In, for which she was paid an estimated £400,000 advance, sold 451 copies in its first week of release in November 2000 and entered the bestseller charts at No. 531.
Attempting to revive her career, Turner presented BBC One's short-lived Saturday evening programme Your Kids Are in Charge in 2000 with her sister Wendy Turner Webster. The following year, she participated in Celebrity Big Brother, and was the third contestant to be evicted, after Chris Eubank and Vanessa Feltz.
In February 2006, Turner made a television comeback on BBC Three in Anthea Turner: Perfect Housewife, where she taught disorganised house women and men how to clean and run their houses. The series was accompanied by three related books. Later in 2006, she appeared as a guest on BBC Two's music-based panel show Never Mind the Buzzcocks.
In April 2009, Turner appeared on the ITV reality show Hell's Kitchen with Marco Pierre White, alongside her then husband Grant Bovey. Turner also presented the show Help Me Anthea, I'm Infested for BBC Three, as she advised people whose homes have been overrun by pests. Turner took part in the first series of the Channel 4 game show The Jump in 2013. The show saw twelve celebrities take part in winter sports. The show is set in a mountainside in Austria.
On 23 August 2015, she replaced Anne Diamond and Sian Welby as the host of the Health Lottery draws on Channel 5. Welby later returned on 2 October and Anthea Turner was dropped from the line-up.
Dancing on Ice
In 2013, Turner appeared as a contestant in the eighth series of Dancing on Ice, where she finished in ninth place out of twelve celebrity skaters. She participated in the show with her professional skating partner Andrew Buchanan. In the third week she performed to the Donny Osmond song "Puppy Love", and ended up in the skate-off against Keith Chegwin. They lost the skate-off and were the fourth couple to be eliminated in the series.
|Robin Cousins||Karen Barber||Ashley Roberts||Jason Gardiner||Total|
- Note: Week 3 was a duel, in which the judges did not give scores, instead the celebrities were paired up and the judges chose which performance they preferred, making them immune from the public vote.
Turner's private life has led the tabloids to take a continuing interest in her.
The year of her divorce from Powell, Turner moved in with the CEO of Imagine Homes, Grant Bovey. Bovey left his wife, Della, to move in with Turner. He later reconciled with Della, before leaving her again to return to Turner. Turner and Bovey married on 23 August 2000. Turner was keen to start her own family with Bovey, who has three daughters (Lily, Amelia and Claudia) from his marriage to Della.
On 23 February 2009, the Daily Mail reported that their Surrey mansion had been put up for sale owing to catastrophic failures in Bovey's buy-to-let property business. The newspaper reported Turner was making television commercials for household detergents to alleviate financial difficulties.
Turner and Bovey split up in 2012, due to Bovey's extramarital affair. After an initial reconciliation, they separated again in August 2013, this time permanently and they divorced in October 2015.
- Underneath the Underground: The Ghost of Knightsbridge (1998) – with Wendy Turner Webster
- Fools Rush In (2000)
- How to Be the Perfect Housewife: Lessons in the Art of Modern Household Management (2007)
- How to Be the Perfect Housewife: Entertain in Style (2008)
- The Perfect Christmas (2008)
|1988–91||Top of the Pops||Presenter|
|1994–96||The National Lottery Draws||Presenter|
|1996–99||Wish You Were Here...?||Presenter|
|2000||Your Kids Are in Charge||Presenter|
|2001||Celebrity Big Brother||Participant|
|2006–07||Anthea Turner: Perfect Housewife||Presenter|
|2007||Help Me Anthea, I'm Infested||Presenter|
|2010–11||Dinner Party Wars||Presenter|
|2013||Dancing on Ice||Contestant|
|2015||The Health Lottery Draws||Presenter|
- Guest appearances
- The Lily Savage Show (1998)
- Loose Women (1999, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2016)
- Never Mind the Buzzcocks (2006)
- The Wright Stuff (2006, 2007, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- The Alan Titchmarsh Show (2008)
- Hell's Kitchen (2009)
- The Gadget Show (2009)
- All Star Family Fortunes (2009)
- Let's Dance for Sport Relief (2009)
- All Star Mr & Mrs (2010)
- Pointless Celebrities (2012, 2014, 2015)
- 10 O'Clock Live (2012)
- Daybreak (2012)
- This Morning (2013)
- Sky News (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Who's Doing the Dishes? (2015)
- Celebrity First Dates (2015)
- Through the Key Hole (2015, 2017)
- Celebrity Antiques Road Trip (2017)
- Anthea. "My family values". Anthea Turner.
- "Huge Explosion on a TV Journalist (Anthea Turner) Live". YouTube. 27 January 2007. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- "Anthea, the Girl with No Future; GMTV HOST WARNS 'PRINCESS TIPPY TOES' THAT HER CAREER IS IN PERIL ROUND TWO TV'S LIGHTWEIGHT V HEAVYWEIGHT". Questia Online Library. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- "Anthea picture leaves sour taste". BBC News. 29 August 2000. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- Flood, Alison (1 February 2018). "Ivanka Trump, Wayne Rooney and the art of the bad book deal". The Guardian. Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- "First Dates SU2C special to feature Anthea Turner and Alexandra Burke". Channel 4. 8 October 2015. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- Celebs In Solitary: Meltdown - Channel 5, Retrieved on October 23, 2018
-  (subscription required)
- "Anthea Turner named in divorce papers". BBC News. 19 May 1999. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- "Credit crunch victims Anthea Turner and Grant Bovey to sell £5m mansion". Daily Mail. 23 February 2009. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- Daniel Boffey (11 October 2008). "Anthea Turner's husband Grant Bovey loses buy-to-let empire in credit crunch". Daily Mail. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- Simon Boyle (30 June 2012). "Love rival: Is this the woman who broke Anthea's heart?". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Caunter, Mel (14 January 2013). "Anthea Turner: How Dancing On Ice helped to save my marriage". Daily Express. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- "Underneath the Underground: The Ghost of Knightsbridge No. 1 (Picture Puffin Story Books): Amazon.co.uk: Anthea Turner, Wendy Turner, Andy Hunt: 9780140563887: Books". amazon.co.uk.
- "Fools Rush In: Amazon.co.uk: Anthea Turner: 9780316854993: Books". amazon.co.uk.
- "How To Be The Perfect Housewife: Lessons in the art of modern household management: Amazon.co.uk: Anthea Turner: 9780753512852: Books". amazon.co.uk.
- "How to be the Perfect Housewife: Entertain in Style: Amazon.co.uk: Anthea Turner: 9780753513323: Books". amazon.co.uk.
- "The Perfect Christmas: Amazon.co.uk: Anthea Turner: 9781905264414: Books". amazon.co.uk.
| Blue Peter Presenter No. 20