Bass with the Houston Astros
|Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters – No. 52|
November 1, 1987 |
|MLB: June 13, 2011, for the San Diego Padres|
|NPB: March 30, 2016, for the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters|
|Last MLB appearance|
|September 28, 2015, for the Texas Rangers|
|Earned run average||4.40|
(through March 30, 2016)
|Earned run average||4.61|
Anthony Edward Bass (born November 1, 1987) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters of Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB). He previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the San Diego Padres from 2011 to 2013, the Houston Astros in 2014, and the Texas Rangers in 2015. He played college baseball at Wayne State University.
Bass attended Trenton High School and Wayne State University. As a junior at Wayne State, Bass was named the 2008 Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Year. He was the highest MLB draft pick in Wayne State history.
San Diego Padres
Bass was drafted by the San Diego Padres in the fifth round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft. He worked as a starting pitcher for the Single-A Fort Wayne TinCaps and Advanced-A Lake Elsinore Storm in 2009, and again for Lake Elsinore in 2010. He began 2011 with the Double-A San Antonio Missions, and although he made a single start for the Triple-A Tucson Padres in May, he was promoted to the big leagues from Double-A in June.
Bass made his major league debut on June 13, 2011, pitching a five-inning start and earning his first major league win. He was optioned back to San Antonio the next day, but was recalled again in late June. Bass stayed with the big league club for the remainder of the year, pitching out of the bullpen until making two more starts in late September. He finished 2011 with a 1.68 ERA in 481⁄3 innings and 24 strike-outs versus 21 walks.
Bass started 2012 in the Padres bullpen, but was added to the starting rotation on April 12 when Dustin Moseley injured his shoulder. Bass made 14 starts for the club until he went on the disabled list in June with shoulder inflammation. He rejoined the club in September, working out of the bullpen after making three rehab starts with Tucson. Bass finished 2012 with a 2-8 record and a 4.73 ERA in 97 innings, with 80 strike-outs against 39 walks.
On December 11, 2013, Bass, along with a player to be named later or cash considerations, was traded to the Houston Astros for a player to be named later or cash considerations. The Astros sent Patrick Schuster to the Padres the next day. Bass spent the 2014 season split between the Astros and the team's Class AAA affiliate, the Oklahoma City RedHawks. He appeared in 21 major league games and earned two saves. He was outrighted off the Astros roster on November 20, 2014. On December 6, Bass elected free agency.
Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters
He throws four pitches: a four-seam fastball (90–95 mph), a slider (83–87), a cutter (85–87)and a changeup (82–86). Bass throws all three pitches to right-handers and left-handers, but he uses the slider more against right-handed batters and the changeup more against lefties. He favors the slider with two strikes.
- "2008 All-GLIAC Baseball Teams Announced". Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. May 9, 2008. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- Arbogast, Justin (December 6, 2012). "Inaugural Anthony Bass Pitching Camp set for Jan. 26". Wayne State Warriors Official Athletic Site. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- "Wayne State University". Wayne State University. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- "MLB.com Gameday". mlb.com. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- "Padres call up Anthony Bass again". MadFriars.com. June 26, 2011. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- Brock, Corey (April 10, 2012). "Moseley's shoulder has extensive damage". MLB.com. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- Center, Bill (June 21, 2012). "Bass latest injured Padre". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- "Astros acquire Anthony Bass from Padres". HardballTalk. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- "Padres acquire LHP Schuster from Astros". San Diego Padres. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- "Astros add Torreyes, Velasquez to 40-man roster". MLB.com. November 20, 2014. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- "Minor League Transactions: Dec. 6-12". BaseballAmerica.com. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- "Rangers ship Leonys Martin to Mariners for RHP Tom Wilhelmsen in 5-player deal". dallasnews.com. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- "Fighters sign right-hander Bass". TheJapanTimes. January 8, 2016. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- "アンソニー・バース投手と契約合意(Japanese)". HokkaidoNipponHamFighters. January 8, 2016. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- "PITCHf/x Player Card: Anthony Bass". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved May 15, 2012.