Anthony Clark Arend
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Anthony Clark Arend
|Born||October 24, 1958|
|Alma mater||School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University (BSFS)|
University of Virginia (M.A., Ph.D.)
Anthony Clark Arend (born October 24, 1958) is Professor of Government and Foreign Service at Georgetown University. From August 1, 2015 until July 15, 2018, he served as Senior Associate Dean (later Vice Dean) for Graduate and Faculty Affairs in the Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University. In July 2018, he became Senior Advisor to the Dean. He served as Director of the Master of Science in Foreign Service Program at the Walsh School from 2008-2017. With Christopher C. Joyner, he founded the Institute for International Law and Politics (now called the Institute for Law, Science and Global Security) at Georgetown University and served as co-director of the Institute from 2003-2008. He is also an adjunct professor of law at the Georgetown University Law Center. From 2005-2009, he edited the blog, Exploring International Law. His blog can now be found at the website AnthonyClarkArend.com He is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations. In April 2017, Arend received the John Carroll Award from the Georgetown University Alumni Association. This award "is conferred upon Georgetown alumni whose achievements and record of service exemplify the ideals and traditions of Georgetown and its founder" and is the highest honor given by the Alumni Association.
Dr. Arend received a Ph.D. (1985) and an M.A. (1982) in Foreign Affairs from the Department of Government and Foreign Affairs of the University of Virginia. He received a B.S.F.S. (1980), magna cum laude, from the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University.
Academic Career and Scholarly Expertise
Dr. Arend has served virtually his entire professorial career at Georgetown University, his undergraduate alma mater. Prior to joining Georgetown's faculty, he was a Senior Fellow at the Center for National Security Law at the University of Virginia School of Law. Arend specializes in international law, international organizations, international relations, international legal philosophy, and constitutional law of United States foreign relations. In his theoretical work, he has applied constructivist international relation theory to international law. In 2014, Arend and Ambassador Mark P. Lagon, former director of the US Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons, published "Human Dignity and the Future of Global Institutions". The book seeks to advance an international dialogue about the promotion of human dignity.
Arend is the author, co-author, or co-editor of several books, including:
- Legal Rules and International Society
- Human Dignity and the Future of Global Institutions (with Mark P. Lagon)
- International Rules (with Robert J. Beck and Robert Vander Lugt)
- International Law and the Use of Force: Beyond the United Nations Charter Paradigm (with Robert J. Beck)
- Pursuing a Just and Durable Peace: John Foster Dulles and International Organization
- The Falklands War: Lessons for Strategy, Diplomacy, and International Law (with Alberto R. Coll)
- Hung, Toby (September 4, 2015). "With Hellman at Helm, SFS Restructures Office". The Hoya. Archived from the original on October 5, 2018. Retrieved January 5, 2019.
- "Thank You, Tony!". Walsh School of Foreign Service. Archived from the original on January 5, 2019. Retrieved January 5, 2019.
- Arend, Anthony Clark (October 1, 2007). "The First Monday in October: The Supreme Court's 2007 Term". Georgetown University. Archived from the original on October 2, 2007.
- "Anthony Clark Arend". AnthonyClarkArend.com. Archived from the original on September 23, 2018. Retrieved January 5, 2019.
- "Anthony Clark Arend (SFS'80) Receives John Carroll Award". Georgetown University School of Foreign Service. Archived from the original on July 29, 2018. Retrieved January 5, 2019.
- "Human Dignity and the Future of Global Institutions". Georgetown University Press. Archived from the original on December 21, 2018. Retrieved January 5, 2019.
- Arend Biography Georgetown
- Article in The Blue & Gray
- Lauren Burgoon, "Arend Welcomes MSFS Grads to the 'World of Service'"
- Video: Arend Interviewed by School of Foreign Service Interim Dean Carol Lancaster about the Obama Administration and the UN
- Video: Obama’s Diplomatic Initiatives January 1, 2010, C-SPAN Interview with Anthony Clark Arend on Washington Journal
- on YouTube
- on YouTube