Anthony Cox (musician)
- For other people of the same name, see Anthony Cox (disambiguation)
Anthony Cox (born October 24, 1954) is an American jazz bass player. He is known for his work with several leading musicians including Geri Allen, Dewey Redman, Dave Douglas, John Scofield, Pat Metheny, Gary Thomas, Marty Ehrlich, Ed Blackwell, Joe Lovano, and Dave King. He plays mainly in the post-bop, avant-garde, and traditional styles, though he is "versatile enough to work in any style effectively."
Cox grew up in Minneapolis and attended college at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. Peter Madsen wrote that Cox is "open to all kinds of great music from around the world" and that "his bass sound is full of beauty and warmth and his ability to accompany and still add very creative ideas into whatever music he is playing is remarkable. He is equally comfortable playing chord changes with a Stan Getz or Kenny Wheeler or playing open music with a Dewey Redman or Geri Allen."
- Falling Man (Muse, 1989) (duo with Marty Ehrlich)
- Dark Metals (Polygram, 1992) (Billy Higgins, Dewey Redman, Michael Cain)
- Factor of Faces (Antilles) (Bobby Franceschini, Michael Cain, Ralph Peterson)
With Geri Allen
With Uri Caine
With Rory Stuart
With Craig Harris
With Joe Lovano
With Bobby Previte
With Dewey Redman
With John Scofield
- Flat Out (A&R, 1989)
- Slo Sco:The Best of the Ballads (A&R, 1990)
- Liquid Fire: The Best of John Scofield (A&R, 1994)
With Dino Saluzzi
- Ríos (veraBra, 1995)
With Gary Thomas
- By Any Means Necessary (JMT, 1989)
- While the Gate Is Open (JMT, 1990)
- The Kold Kage (JMT, 1991)
- Till We Have Faces (JMT, 1992)
With Jack Walrath
- In Europe (SteepleChase, 1982)
- A Plea for Sanity (Stash, 1982)
- Jack Walrath Quintet at Umbria Jazz Festival, Vol. 1 (Red, 1983 )
- Jack Walrath Quintet at Umbria Jazz Festival, Vol. 2 (Red, 1983 )
- Master of Suspense (Blue Note, 1987)
- Neohippus (Blue Note, 1988)
- Out of the Tradition (Muse, 1990 )
- Gut Feelings (Muse, 1990 )
- Jazz, All About. "Anthony Cox". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- The rough guide to jazz, page 176
- "Anthony Cox | Biography, Albums, Streaming Links | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- Jazz Police - Anthony Cox Archived February 8, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Jazz Police - Bryan Nichols Trio With Anthony Cox and Dave King at the AQ, September 16-17 Archived March 2, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.