Anthony Doerr (born Cleveland, Ohio in 1973) is an American fiction writer. Raised in nearby Novelty, Ohio, he majored in history at Bowdoin College and earned an MFA from Bowling Green State University.
Many of the stories in Shell Collector, take place in Africa and New Zealand, where he has worked and lived. In a 2004 online interview for the Washington Post, Doerr mentioned that his next work may involve occupied France during World War II and their subversive use of radios against the Nazis. The struggles in writing this book are documented in his newest book, a non-fiction memoir entitled Four Seasons in Rome: On Twins, Insomnia, and the Biggest Funeral in the History of the World. This book was published by Scribner in the US in 2007 and by Fourth Estate in the UK in 2008. His next novel, All the Light We Cannot See, will be published by Scribner in May 2014.
- Barnes & Noble Discover Prize, for The Shell Collector
- Rome Prize from the American Academy of Arts and Letters and the American Academy in Rome
- Ohioana Book Award
- 2003: New York Public Library's Young Lions Fiction Award, winner, The Shell Collector
- 2010: Guggenheim Fellowship
- 2011: The Story Prize, winner, Memory Wall
- 2011: Sunday Times EFG Private Bank Short Story Award, winner, 'The Deep'
- The Shell Collector: Stories, Simon and Schuster, 2002, ISBN 978-0-7432-2362-1
- About Grace: A Novel Scribner, 2004, ISBN 978-0-7432-6182-1
- Four Seasons in Rome: On Twins, Insomnia, and the Biggest Funeral in the History of the World, Simon and Schuster, 2007, ISBN 978-1-4165-4001-4
- Memory Wall: Stories, Scribner, 2010, ISBN 978-1-4391-8280-2
- "The River Nemunas" from Scribner's Memory Wall published by mobile app Storyville
- All the Light We Cannot See, Scribner, 2014, ISBN-10 1476746583
- "The Shell Collector", The Best American Short Stories 2003, Editors Walter Mosley, Katrina Kenison, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2003, ISBN 978-0-618-19733-0
- "Village 113", The O. Henry prize stories, Volume 2008, Editor Laura Furman, Random House, Inc., 2008, ISBN 978-0-307-28034-3
- The PEN/O. Henry prize stories, Volume 2009, Editor Laura Furman, Anchor Books, 2009, ISBN 9780307280350
- "The Caretaker", The Anchor book of new American short stories, Editor Ben Marcus, Anchor Books, 2004, ISBN 978-1-4000-3482-6
- Long, Karen R. (2011-04-09). "Anthony Doerr Wins Lucrative Short-story Prize". The Plain Dealer. Retrieved 2011-04-27.
- Staff writer (8 April 2011). "Anthony Doerr wins Short Story award". BBC News. Retrieved January 22, 2013.
- Staff writer (9 April 2011). "A heartwarming win for a heartbreaking tale". The Sunday Times. Retrieved January 22, 2013.
- Video: The Story Prize reading with Yiyun Li and Suzanne Rivecca. March 2, 2011.