Anthony S. Fauci
|Anthony S. Fauci|
Anthony Fauci (Jim Wallace, 2001)
December 24, 1940 |
Brooklyn, New York
|Institutions||National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases|
|Alma mater||Regis High School, College of the Holy Cross, Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University|
|Known for||HIV and the progression to AIDS|
|Notable awards||Maxwell Finland Award (1989)
Ernst Jung Prize (1995)
Lasker Award (2007)
Presidential Medal of Freedom (2008)
Robert Koch Prize (Gold, 2013)
Anthony Stephen "Tony" Fauci (born December 24, 1940) is an immunologist who has made substantial contributions to HIV/AIDS research and other immunodeficiencies, both as a scientist and as the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID).
Education and career
Anthony Stephen Fauci was born on December 24, 1940, in Brooklyn, New York, to Stephen A. Fauci, a pharmacist, and Eugenia A. Fauci, a homemaker. He is of Italian descent and grew up Catholic. He graduated from Regis High School in New York City. He went on to attend the College of the Holy Cross and received his M.D. from Cornell University Medical College in 1966. He then completed an internship and residency at The New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center.
In 1968 he came to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) as a clinical associate in the Laboratory of Clinical Investigation (LCI) in NIAID. In 1974 he became Head of the Clinical Physiology Section, LCI, and in 1980 was appointed Chief of the Laboratory of Immunoregulation, a position he still holds. In 1984 he became Director of NIAID, which has the responsibility for an extensive research portfolio of basic and applied research on infectious and immune-mediated illnesses.
Fauci has made a number of basic scientific observations that contribute to the current understanding of the regulation of the human immune response, and is recognized for delineating the mechanisms whereby immunosuppressive agents adapt to the human immune response. He has developed therapies for formerly fatal diseases such as polyarteritis nodosa, granulomatosis with polyangiitis, and lymphomatoid granulomatosis. In a 1985 Stanford University Arthritis Center Survey of the American Rheumatism Association membership ranked the work of Fauci on the treatment of polyarteritis nodosa and granulomatosis with polyangiitis as one of the most important advances in patient management in rheumatology over the previous 20 years.
Fauci has made influential contributions to the understanding of how HIV destroys the body's defenses leading to the progression to AIDS. He also has outlined the mechanisms of induction of HIV expression by endogenous cytokines. Fauci has played an important role in developing strategies for the therapy and immune reconstitution of patients with this disease, as well as for a vaccine to prevent HIV infection. His current research is concentrated on identifying the nature of the immunopathogenic mechanisms of HIV infection and the scope of the body's immune responses to HIV.
In 2003, the Institute for Scientific Information indicated that Fauci was the 13th most-cited scientist during the twenty year period from 1983 to 2002. He was the ninth most-cited scientist in immunology in the period January 1993 to June 30, 2003.
Fauci is a member of the National Academy of Sciences, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the Institute of Medicine (Council Member), the American Philosophical Society, and the Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters, as well as other numerous professional societies including the American Society for Clinical Investigation, the Infectious Diseases Society of America, and the American Association of Immunologists. He serves on the editorial boards of many scientific journals; as an editor of Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine; and as author, coauthor, or editor of more than 1,000 scientific publications, including several textbooks.
Awards and honors
- 2014 Prince Mahidol Award
- 2013 Robert Koch Gold Medal
- 2008 Presidential Medal of Freedom
- 2007 Lasker Award (shared with Ralph M. Steinman and Alain F. Carpentier, Albert Starr)
- 2005 National Medal of Science
- 2002 Albany Medical Center Prize
- 1995 Ernst Jung Prize (shared with Samuel A. Wells, Jr.) 
- 1979 Arthur S. Flemming Award
Fauci has been a visiting professor at many medical centers, and has received 30 honorary doctorate degrees from universities in the United States and abroad.
Ebola Congressional hearing
On October 16, 2014, in a United States Congressional hearing regarding the Ebola virus crisis, Dr. Fauci, who has been speaking on this issue, regarding "screening", etc, for weeks now,  and as the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), testified and warned that they were still some distance from producing sufficient quantities for widespread trials.
“While NIAID is an active participant in the global effort to address the public health emergency occurring in west Africa, it is important to recognize that we are still in the early stages of understanding how infection with the Ebola virus can be treated and prevented,” Fauci said.
Dr. Fauci also remarked in the hearing: “As we continue to expedite research while enforcing high safety and efficacy standards, the implementation of the public health measures already known to contain prior Ebola virus outbreaks and the implementation of treatment strategies such as fluid and electrolyte replacement are essential to preventing additional infections, treating those already infected, protecting healthcare providers, and ultimately bringing this epidemic to an end.”
- Fauci AS, Dale DC, Balow JE. Glucocorticosteroid therapy: mechanisms of action and clinical considerations. Ann Intern Med 1976 Mar;84(3):304-15. PMID 769625
- Fauci AS, Haynes B, Katz P. The spectrum of vasculitis: clinical, pathologic, immunologic and therapeutic considerations. Ann Intern Med 1978 Nov;89(5 Pt 1):660-76. PMID 31121
- Fauci AS, Haynes BF, Katz P, Wolff SM. Wegener's granulomatosis: prospective clinical and therapeutic experience with 85 patients for 21 years. Ann Intern Med 1983 Jan;98(1):76-85. PMID 6336643
- Fauci AS, Macher AM, Longo DL, Lane HC, Rook AH, Masur H, Gelmann EP. NIH conference. Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome: epidemiologic, clinical, immunologic, and therapeutic considerations. Ann Intern Med 1984 Jan;100(1):92-106. PMID 6318629
- Fauci AS. The human immunodeficiency virus: infectivity and mechanisms of pathogenesis. Science 1988 Feb 5;239(4840):617-22. PMID 3277274
- Pantaleo G, Graziosi C, Fauci AS. New concepts in the immunopathogenesis of human immunodeficiency virus infection. N Engl J Med 1993 Feb 4;328(5):327-35. PMID 8093551
- Chun TW, Fauci AS. Latent reservoirs of HIV: obstacles to the eradication of virus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999 Sep 28;96(20):10958-61. doi:10.1073/pnas.96.20.10958 PMID 10500107
- Morens DM, Folkers GK, Fauci AS. The challenge of emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases. Nature 2004 Jul 8;430(6996):242-9. PMID 15241422
- Johnston MI, Fauci AS. An HIV vaccine--challenges and prospects. N Engl J Med 2008 Aug 28;359(9):888-90. PMID 18753644
- Fauci AS, Braunwald E, Kasper DL, Hauser SL, Longo DL, Jameson JL, Loscalzo J, eds. Harrison's principles of internal medicine, 17th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Medical, 2008. ISBN 978-0-07-159991-7
- Anthony S. Fauci Biography Retrieved on May 30, 2007
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Biography Retrieved on May 30, 2007
- Varmus, Harold (1 December 2013). "Making PEPFAR". Science & Diplomacy 2 (4).
- Holy Cross Magazine Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., ’62 Retrieved on May 30, 2007
- Science Watch Twenty Years of Citation Superstars Retrieved on May 30, 2007
- Highly Cited Biography Retrieved May 30, 2007
- New York Times, 4 Winners of Lasker Medical Prize
- Ernst Jung Prize for Medicine
- Officials eyeing additional screening for Ebola in US, vow to protect citizens from disease - Associated Press - 6 October 2014. Retrieved 16 October 2014.
- Roberts, Dan - News World news Ebola CDC director warns Ebola like 'forest fire' as Congress readies for hearing - Ebola crisis live updates - The Guardian. Retrieved 16 October 2014.