April 14, 1973 |
Manhattan, New York
Anthony Gatto (real name Anthony Commarota) is an American juggler who holds several juggling world records. He began performing in Las Vegas at the age of ten.
Born in Manhattan April 14, 1973 and growing up in Maryland, he was a juggling prodigy: world-class by the age of nine. He made his first television appearance at the age of 8 on the program That's Incredible! Gatto's early exposure to juggling, and much of his initial act, can be credited to his father Nick Gatto, a longtime performer.
In 1998 Gatto met his future wife Danielle, who would go on to become his assistant during his performances. A professional dancer, Danielle added circus-style skills to her résumé to accompany her husband on circus tours. Danielle and Anthony married in 1999 and they have two children.
In 2000 he became the first and so far only juggler to win the prestigious Golden Clown award at the 24th International Circus Festival of Monte-Carlo. Between 2007 and 2009 Gatto's performance was a part of Cirque du Soleil's show Koozå. From 2010 to 2012 he was part of Cirque du Soleil's show La Nouba.
In 2014 it was discovered that Anthony Gatto may have retired from performing in Cirque Du Soleil in order to run his concrete resurfacing business "Big Top Concrete Resurfacing LLC" under his birth name of Anthony Commarota. The business was founded by him in August 2012 and is located in Orlando, Florida.
Gatto formerly shared the record for most rings juggled and caught at least once. He currently holds the following 12 juggling world records:
- 7 rings for 15 minutes 5 seconds in 1989.
- 8 rings for 1 minute 17 seconds in 1989.
- 9 rings for 235 catches in 2005.
- 10 rings for 47 catches in 2005.
- 11 rings for 17 catches in 2006.
- 12 rings for 12 catches in 1993.
- 6 clubs for 7 minutes 38 seconds in 2005.
- 7 clubs for 4 minutes 23 seconds in 2005.
- 8 clubs for 16 catches in 2006.
- 7 balls for 11 minutes 37 seconds in 2011.
- 8 balls for 1 minute 13 seconds in 2006.
- 9 balls for 54 seconds in 2006.
- Gatto, From Vaudeville Acro-Cat to the King of Juggling, Produced by Alan Plotkin
- Biographical Information
- Gatto, Anthony. "History of Gatto Ent?" 5 May 2008. Juggling Talk.
- "List of previous award winners". International Circus Festival of Monte-Carlo. Retrieved October 16, 2009.
- "Dropped «". grantland.com. Retrieved May 27, 2014.
- "List of Numbers Juggling Records". Juggling Information Service Committee on Numbers Juggling (JISCON). Retrieved February 20, 2011.
- "Anthony Gatto 7 Ball World Record". YouTube. Retrieved March 4, 2012.