Anthony Grey, 9th Earl of Kent
Rev. Anthony Gray (1557 - 9 November 1643) was Earl of Kent from 1639 to his death.
He was a son of George Gray by Margery, daughter of Gerard Salvaine of Croxdale. George was the apparently only son of Anthony Gray of Brancepeth, a son of George Grey, 2nd Earl of Kent by his second wife Katherine (or Katharine or Catherine), daughter of William Herbert, 1st Earl of Pembroke.
Family and issue
Gray married Magdalene, daughter of William Purefoy of Caldecote by Catherine (or Katherine) Wigston. Burke's Landed Gentry mentions his wife having a sister named Dorothy Purefoy who married Roger Dudley and was mother to Thomas Dudley, Governor of Massachusetts; however; other sources identify Susanna Thorne as the mother of Thomas, and Susanna's mother as Mary Purefoy.
Anthony and Magdalene had twelve children, all born in Burbage:
- Grace (29 April 1593 -). Married James Ward of Hugglescote Grange Leicestershire
- Henry, 10th Earl of Kent (24 November 1594 - 28 May 1651).
- Magdalene (14 November 1596 - September 1668). Married John Browne of Stretton en le Field see Cave-Browne
- Christian (8 May 1598 - 5 June 1681). Married the Rev. Theophilus Burdett, rector of Burton Overy, in 1626.
- Faithmyjoye (1599 – 1602).
- Priscilla (1601 - 1644).
- Patience (b. 1603). Married a man of the Wood family.
- John (April 1605 - September 1605).
- Job (b. 1606), rector of Burbage and South Kilworth Leicestershire
- Theophilus (1608 - 30 March 1679)
- Nathaniel/Nathaniell (1613 - 9 May 1683).
- Presela (b. 1615).
|Ancestors of Anthony Grey, 9th Earl of Kent|
- Database of FamilySearch.org - (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)
- CP, "Kent"
- http://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/gg/grey03.php (subscription required)
- http://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/ss4as/salvin2.php (subscription required)
- http://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/ss4as/salvin1.php (subscription required)
- http://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/pp/purefoy1.php (subscription required)
|Peerage of England|
|Earl of Kent