Anthony Ichiro Sanda
|Anthony Ichiro Sanda|
|Born||March 4, 1944|
|Alma mater||University of Illinois
|Doctoral advisor||John H. Schwarz|
|Doctoral students||Hilbert J. Kappen
Michael DeTurck McGuigan
|Known for||CP violation
B meson decays
|Notable awards||Nishina Memorial Prize (2002)
Sakurai Prize (2004)
Anthony Ichiro Sanda (三田 一郎 Sanda Ichirō, born March 4, 1944) is a Japanese-American particle physicist. Along with Ikaros Bigi, he was awarded the 2004 Sakurai Prize for his work on CP violation and B meson decays.
Sanda studied at the University of Illinois (B.S. 1965) and Princeton University (Ph.D. 1969). He was a researcher at Columbia University from 1971–1974 and Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory. From 1974-1992 he was an Assistant Professor and then Associate Professor at the Rockefeller University. From 1992 he was a professor of physics at the Nagoya University. Since 2006 he is a Professor Emeritus at Nagoya University and a Professor at Kanagawa University. Since 2007 he is also a Program Officer of the Kavli Institute for the Physics and Mathematics of the Universe, University of Tokyo. His major works are the proposal of a renormalizable gauge fixing method in broken gauge symmetric theory and the development of the theory of CP violations in B meson decays that has proven the Kobayashi-Maskawa Theory and has given a strong motivation for the experiments in Belle at KEK, Japan and BaBar at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, USA as well as fixing the necessary parameters of the accelerators to perform the experiments.
Honours and awards
- Inoue Prize for Science (1993)
- Nishina Memorial Prize (1997)
- Chunichi Shimbun Prize (2002)
- Sakurai Prize (2004)
- Shuji Orito Prize (2015)
- Medal with Purple Ribbon (2002)
- I. I. Bigi and A. I. Sanda, CP Violation (Cambridge University Press, 1999), ISBN 0-521-44349-0.
- K. Fujikawa, B. W. Lee, and A. I. Sanda, "Generalized Renormalizable Gauge Formulation of Spontaneously Broken Gauge Theories," Phys. Rev. D 6, 2923 (1972).
- A. B. Carter and A. I. Sanda, "CP Violation in Cascade Decays of B Mesons," Phys. Rev. Lett. 45, 952 (1980).
- A. B. Carter and A. I. Sanda, "CP Violation in B Meson Decays," Phys. Rev. D 23, 1567 (1981).
- I. I. Y. Bigi and A. I. Sanda, "Notes on the Observability of CP Violations in B Decays," Nucl. Phys. B 193, 85 (1981).