Anthony J. Battaglia
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of California|
March 9, 2011
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||James Lorenz|
|Born||1949 (age 66–67)
San Diego, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||Alliant International University
California Western School of Law
Anthony Joseph Battaglia (born 1949) is a District Judge for the United States District Court for the Southern District of California and a former United States magistrate judge of the same court.
Early life and education
Battaglia was born in 1949, in San Diego, California. He graduated from United States International University in 1971 with a Bachelor of Arts. Battaglia then earned his Juris Doctor from California Western School of Law in 1974.
Federal judicial service
In 1993, Battaglia was selected to serve as a magistrate judge for the United States District Court for the Southern District of California.
On May 20, 2010, President Barack Obama nominated Battaglia for a district court judgeship on the Southern District of California. to fill the seat vacated by Judge James Lorenz. He was renominated at the beginning of the 112th Congress. On February 4, 2011, Battaglia, was for the second time unanimously approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee. On March 7, 2011 the Senate confirmed his nomination by a vote of 89 ayes to 0 nays. and he received his commission on March 9, 2011.
- Senate Judiciary Committee Questionnaire: Anthony Joseph Battaglia, (May 18, 2010).
- President Obama Names Three to United States District Court, whitehouse.gov (May 20, 2010).
- Hon. Anthony J. Battaglia '74 Nominated to Seat on U.S. District Court, California Western School of Law News (May 21, 2010).
- Greg Moran, Obama nominates federal judge in San Diego, The San Diego Union-Tribune (May 20, 2010).
- , The State Column (February 4, 2011).
- Biographical Directory of Federal Judges
- Anthony J. Battaglia at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of California