|Anthony J. Portantino|
|Member of the California State Assembly
from the 44th district
December 6, 2006 – November 30, 2012
|Preceded by||Carol Liu|
|Succeeded by||Chris Holden|
Long Branch, New Jersey
|Alma mater||Albright College|
Assemblyman Portantino served two terms on the La Cañada Flintridge City Council, from 1999 until 2006. There, he was mentored by now State Senator Carol Liu, who endorsed him to succeed her in the California State Assembly.
At the request of the Screen Actors Guild in 2010, Portantino proposed an anti-gatecrashing law that would make party crashing a misdemeanor with punishments being up to six months in jail, or a $1,000 fine, or both. He said that party crashing posed a threat to public safety.
After his term finished in the California State Assembly, Portantino stated initially stated that he would run for Congress against David Dreier, even though the district had yet to be drawn. He later contemplated a run against Senator Carol Liu in State Senate District 25  but opted against it, citing personal reasons. In 2013, Portantino began actively campaigning to fill the seat of Senator Liu, who will be forced out of the District 25 position by term limits in 2016.
- "Liu Endorses Portantino for Assembly". La Canada Valley Sun. 2005-10-13. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- Closing the door to gate crashers Los Angeles Times, 2010-08-14.
- Miller, Terry (April 12, 2011). "Portantino’s Bill Banning "Open Carry" of Handguns Passes Key Committee". Pasadena Independent. Retrieved 22 June 2011.
- "Portantino's Tattoo Removal Bill Passes Legislature". San Gabriel Valley Tribune. 2012-08-27. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- Abendschein, Dan (2011-06-07). "Portantino Preparing for 2012 Congress Run, But Will He Face David Dreier? - Government". Sierra Madre, CA Patch. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- Kellam, Mark (2011-12-14). "Portantino struggles to find political footing". Glendale News-Press. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- Kellam, Mark and Joe Piasecki (2012-01-19). "Portantino bows out of senate race". Pasadena Sun. Retrieved 2014-10-06.
- Gold, Lauren (2013-06-27). "Anthony Portantino kicks off run for State Senate". Pasadena Star-News. Retrieved 2014-10-06.