Anthony Johnson (defensive lineman)
|No. 75 New York Jets|
|Date of birth:||January 24, 1993|
|Place of birth:||New Orleans, Louisiana|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||295 lb (134 kg)|
|High school:||New Orleans (LA) Walker|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2016|
Anthony Johnson (born January 24, 1993) is an American football defensive end for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at LSU. During his high school football career at O. Perry Walker High School in New Orleans, Johnson broke the Louisiana career quarterback sack record with 67.5 sacks.
High school career
Born to Nakisha Johnson and Sherman Patty and raised in New Orleans, Johnson's family was displaced by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, and moved to Atlanta, and later Mobile, Alabama, for a period of time.
After returning to New Orleans, Johnson attended O. Perry Walker High School, where he was a four-time all-district selection. He broke the Louisiana career sack record with 67.5 sacks during his four-year career. As a senior in 2010, he recorded 129 tackles, 31 tackles for loss, and 17.5 sacks. Walker went 9–4 on the season, advancing to the LHSAA Class 4A semifinals, where they lost 36–6 to Franklinton. Both USA Today and Parade named Johnson to their All-American teams. Gatorade named him the Louisiana State Player of the Year, as the first lineman, and only third defender, in the 16 years of the award.
One of the most sought after high school players in the country, Johnson was rated as a five-star prospect by every recruiting service. Rivals.com ranked him the No. 1 defensive tackle of his class, and compared him to Darnell Dockett. Johnson chose LSU over offers from almost every major school, including Alabama, Oklahoma, and Southern California.
Johnson played in thirteen games for LSU in 2011, and was named to both the CBSSports.com and Sporting News Freshman All-American team's. He was named full-time starter in his junior year for the 2013 football season. Johnson declared for the 2014 NFL Draft after his junior season.
2014 NFL Combine
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 2 in||308 lb||33 in||10 3⁄8 in||5.24 s||1.82 s||3.05 s||4.83 s||7.93 s||24 1/2 in||08 ft 06 in||20 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
On May 10, 2014, Johnson signed with the Miami Dolphins as an undrafted free agent. On December 13, 2014, he was placed on season ending injured reserve after an ankle injury. Johnson did not make the cut for the Dolphins' 2015 season roster.
New England Patriots
Johnson signed with the New England Patriots on May 9, 2016. He was released on September 26, 2016. He was signed to the practice squad two days later. He was promoted back to the active roster on October 15, 2016. On October 24, the Patriots waived Johnson. He was re-signed to the practice squad on October 26, 2016.
New York Jets
On November 9, 2016 Johnson was signed by the Jets off the Patriots' practice squad.
- "Music came first for LSU's vocal leader: Anthony ‘The Freak’ Johnson". The Advocate. August 28, 2013.
- LSU's Ego Ferguson and Anthony Johnson to enter NFL Draft
- Miami Dolphins Place Anthony Johnson On IR
- Kring-Schreifels, Jake (November 9, 2015). "More On The Redskins' Three New Roster Additions". Redskins.com. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- "Redskins Sign Seven To Reserve/Future Contracts". Redskins.com. January 11, 2016. Retrieved January 16, 2016.
- "05/02: Redskins Make Roster Moves". Redskins.com. May 2, 2016. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Patriots trade LB Jonathan Bostic to Detroit; Sign DL Anthony Johnson". Patriots.com. May 9, 2016. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- "Patriots release DL Anthony Johnson". Patriots.com.
- "Patriot sign Anthony Johnson to the practice squad; Release OL Ian Silberman". Patriots.com. Retrieved September 28, 2016.
- "Patriots sign DL Geneo Grisson and DL Anthony Johnson to the 53-man roster; Place LB Jonathan Freeny and TE Greg Scruggs on Injured Reserve". Patriots.com. October 15, 2016.
- "Patriots release DL Anthony Johnson from the 53-man roster; release DB Vinnie Sunseri from the practice squad". Patriots.com. October 24, 2016.
- "Patriots acquire LB Kyle Van Noy in a trade with Detroit". Patriots.com. October 26, 2016.
- Lange, Randy (November 9, 2016). "Devin Smith Activated, Ryan Clady Goes to IR". NewYorkJets.com.