September 13, 1968 |
Span of killings
|March 8, 2009|
Anthony Kirkland (born September 13, 1968) is an American serial killer. Between 2006 and 2009, Kirkland murdered a woman and three girls in the Cincinnati area following a 16-year prison term for the 1987 murder of another woman.
From December 22, 2006 through March 7, 2009, Kirkland murdered four women, three by strangulation. He had burned each of his victims' bodies in an attempt to conceal evidence of rape. Kirkland was arrested near the scene of the murder of 13-year-old Esme Kenney in possession of her watch and iPod.
After being convicted of aggravated murder, gross abuse of a corpse, attempted rape and aggravated robbery, the judge on March 31, 2010 sentenced Kirkland to death. He presently awaits his sentence at Chillicothe Correctional Institution.
On October 16, 2014, the Supreme Court of Ohio granted a motion by Kirkland for a stay of execution.
In May 2016, the Ohio supreme court granted a motion for a new sentencing hearing for Kirkland.
- Leola Douglas, 27, murdered May 20, 1987.
- Casonya Crawford, 14, murdered May, 2006.
- Mary Jo Newton, 45, murdered April or May, 2006.
- Kimya Rolison, 14, murdered December 22, 2006.
- Esme Kenney, 13, murdered March 7, 2009.
- Offender Details
- Police: Anthony Kirkland suspect in several murders - FOX19.com-Cincinnati News, Weather & Sports
- Kirkland sentenced to death | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com
- Jurors find Anthony Kirkland guilty of all 12 counts, including aggravated murder | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com
- "Death sentence upheld for killer of 2 teen girls". Washington Times. 13 May 2014. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- Maloney, Kathleen (13 May 2014). "Supreme Court Rejects Death Penalty Appeal of Hamilton County Man in Murders of Two Women and Two Girls". COURT NEWS OHIO. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- "Court rejects serial killer's death sentence appeal". cincinannati.com. 13 May 2014. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- "The Supreme Court of Ohio State of Ohio v. Anthony Kirkland" (PDF). 16 October 2014. Retrieved 4 December 2016.
- "Anthony Kirkland, convicted Cincinnati killer, granted re-sentencing". YAHOO! NEWS. 12 May 2016. Retrieved 22 May 2016.
|This United States biographical article related to crime is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|