Anthony John Liddell Nightingale CMG, SBS (traditional Chinese: 黎定基) (born 1947) is a Hong Kong businessman. He spent his career with Jardine Matheson Holdings, a diversified business group focused on Asia, and served as managing director from 2006 to 2012. He retired as Managing Director of Jardine Matheson in March 2012, but he still serves as a non-executive director of the company and other listed group companies.
During Nightingale’s career, he held numerous positions related to the economic development of Hong Kong and Greater China. In various public and private sector roles, Nightingale contributed to the discussion of economic and trade issues impacting the Asia-Pacific region across sectors such as finance, transportation, real estate and retail sales.
Nightingale’s positions include Hong Kong representative to the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Business Advisory Council, Non-Official Member of the Commission on Strategic Development, Member of the Committee on Strategic Enhancement of Hong Kong as an International Financial Centre, Vice President of the Real Estate Developers Association of Hong Kong, and Chairman of the Missions to Seamen in Hong Kong. He is also a past Chairman of the Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce, past Chairman of the Business Facilitation Advisory Committee and a past council member of the Hong Kong Trade Development Council. In 2007, Nightingale was the Recipient of the Silver Bauhinia Star, which is the second rank in the Order of the Bauhinia Star in Hong Kong, awarded for leadership in public affairs or for voluntary work over a long period.
Nightingale joined the Jardine Matheson Group in 1969. His early career focused on financial services, marketing and distribution, and property based in Hong Kong, Japan and later Saudi Arabia. He became Managing Director of Jardine Pacific, the holding company for Jardine Matheson’s non-listed businesses, on its formation in 1988. Nightingale joined the Board of Directors of Jardine Matheson in 1994, and thereafter had responsibility for managing the Group’s interests in Jardine Pacific, Jardine Motors, Jardine Cycle & Carriage, and Astra International. He was appointed Managing Director of the Group in 2006.
Nightingale was appointed Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George (CMG) in the 2012 Birthday Honours for services to British business interests in Asia.
- "Official website of Jardine Matheson". Jardines.
- "Jardine Matheson Holdings". Forbes. Retrieved 19 March 2008.
- "Jardine Matheson HD-UNSP ADR". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "Global 500". CNN.com. 25 July 2011.
- "Asian Financial Forum – Speakers". Asian Financial Forum. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "Think Asia Think Hong Kong – Speakers". Think Asia Think Hong Kong. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- Ermakova, Maria (29 September 2011). "Jardine Matheson Holdings Limited Announces Management Changes". Reuters.
- Johnson, Scott (5 January 2012). "Jardine’s Nightingale Sees APEC as Bulwark Against Protectionism". Bloomberg.
- Ha, Karen (20 February 2012). "SMEs need government assistance to grow". The Standard. p. B14. Archived from the original on 20 February 2012.
Many small and medium enterprises need government assistance as financing has become one of the hardest challenges, said Anthony Nightingale, a SAR representative to the APEC Business Advisory Council.
- 港具創業空間 怡和黎定基：科技商機不容忽視. 星島日報 (Sing Tao Daily) (in Chinese). 20 February 2012.
- "Anthony Nightingale’s speech at APEC Symposium in Hong Kong" (PDF). Trade & Industry Department, HKSAR. June 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 2007.
- 黎定基分享成功之道工作有熱情 贏別人尊重. 星島日報 (Sing Tao Daily) (in Chinese). 6 February 2012.
- "Official website of MINDSET". Jardine Matheson. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- "Speech by Social Welfare Department, HKSAR, at the Walk Up Jardine House 2010". Social Welfare Department, HKSAR. 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 March 2010.
- "Rat Race this year is a piece of cake". The Standard. Archived from the original on 18 May 2010.
- The London Gazette: . 16 June 2012.