Anthony 'Tony' David Owen is an economist and academic, currently employed as Emeritus Professor in Energy Economics at University College London (UCL) Australia. He was appointed to the position in July 2013, and was previously Academic Director of the School of Energy and Resources at its campus in Adelaide, Australia. He also held the Santos Chair in Energy Resources at the time. Prior to his appointment at UCL he held positions at Curtin University of Technology and the University of New South Wales, and worked as a consultant and visiting appointee in North America, Europe and Asia. In 2007 he chaired the Inquiry into Electricity Supply in New South Wales. Owen wrote a book entitled The economics of uranium, which was published by Praeger in 1985. Since then, Owen has written periodically on the possibility of nuclear power in Australia, including for the Committee for Economic Development of Australia (CEDA) in 2011. His academic papers have featured in peer-reviewed journals such as Energy Policy, Economic Record, Agenda and the Journal of Nuclear Research and Development. He also edited the book The Economics of Climate Change with Nick Hanley which was published by Routledge, London in 2004.
Owen has worked at the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (Paris, France), the Department of Energy (Harwell, UK), and the International Energy Agency (Paris, France). His academic career has included appointments as Professor of Energy Economics at Curtin University of Technology (Perth, Australia), Associate Professor of Economics and Joint Director of the Centre for Energy and Environmental Markets at the University of New South Wales (Sydney, Australia). He has held visiting appointments at universities in British Columbia (Canada), Colorado (USA) and Leeds and Exeter (UK) and has consulted on energy matters in Australia, China, Denmark, Indonesia, Norway, the Philippines and the UK.
Tony is a Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society, a member of the CSIRO Advisory Council on Energy and Transport and a former president (2004) of the International Association for Energy Economics.
- A D Owen, S Simons, and J Brown, “Levelised cost analysis of uranium enrichment facilities in Australia”, Journal of Nuclear Research and Development, 2013, Vol. 6, pp. 3–12.
- A D Owen, “The economic viability of nuclear power in a fossil-fuel-rich country: Australia”, Energy Policy, 2011, Vol. 39, pp. 1305–1311.
- A D Owen and R Betz, “The implications of Australia's Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme for its National Electricity Market”, Energy Policy, 2010, Vol. 38, pp. 4966–4977.
- A D Owen and C Manuhutu, “Gas-on-gas competition in Shanghai”, Energy Policy, 2010, Vol. 38, pp. 2101–2106.
- A D Owen and J Pope, “Emission trading schemes: potential revenue effects, compliance costs and overall tax policy issues”, Energy Policy, 2009, Vol. 37, pp. 4595–4603.
- A D Owen, “The Inquiry into Electricity Supply in New South Wales”, Energy Policy, 2009, Vol. 37, 2009, pp. 570–576.
- A D Owen and C Cockroft, “The Economics of Hydrogen Fuel Cell Buses”, Economic Record, Vol. 83, 2007, pp. 359–370.
Owen is a former rugby player.
- Australia's nuclear options - CEDA policy perspective (PDF). Melbourne, Australia: CEDA. 2011. pp. 23–31. ISBN 0 85801 277 4.
- "The Economics of Uranium". Praeger. Retrieved 2015-04-02.
- Owen, Anthony (2006-09-18). "Nuclear power for Australia?" (PDF). Agenda. 13 (3). Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "Tony David Owen". National University of Singapore. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- Owen, Anthony D.; Hanley, Nick (2004). The Economics of Climate Change. London, UK: Routledge. ISBN 0415287243.
- "Tony Owen". LinkedIn. Archived from the original on 2015-04-04. Retrieved 2015-04-01.