Anthony R. Jones
Commissioned a Second Lieutenant of Infantry, Jones later became qualified in the Aviation branch. His early assignments included: Task Force Executive Officer and Company Commander, 160th Aviation Group (Airborne), 1st Special Operations Command; Commander, 3rd Battalion 227th Aviation Regiment, 3rd Armored Division; Commander, Combat Aviation Brigade, 24th Infantry Division; Chief of Staff, 24th Infantry Division (Mechanized); and Deputy Director for Operations, National Military Command Center, J-3, The Joint Staff. General Jones's overseas experience included Operation Desert Shield and Operation Desert Storm in Saudi Arabia, as well as Operation Joint Guard in Bosnia.
Jones's later assignments included: Assistant Division Commander (Forward), 1st Armored Division; Commanding General, U.S. Army Aviation Center and Fort Rucker; and Chief of Staff, U.S. Army Europe and Seventh Army.
General Jones's final assignment was as Deputy Commander of U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command. In 2004 Jones co-led an inquiry into alleged detainee abuse in Iraq by members of U.S. military intelligence. He served as acting TRADOC commander after General Kevin P. Byrnes was relieved of duty in 2005.
Lieutenant General Jones graduated from the Infantry Officer Basic and Advanced Courses, the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, and the U.S. Army War College. He holds a master's degree in Systems Management from the University of Southern California.
Awards and decorations
His awards and decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal, Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit (3), Bronze Star Medal, Meritorious Service Medal (8), Air Medal, Army Commendation Medal (2), Army General Staff Badge, the Joint Staff Badge, Expert Infantryman Badge, Master Aviator Badge, Parachutist Badge, and Ranger Tab.
Post military career
After leaving the Army Jones worked as Vice President of Training Systems and Services for the Boeing Company.
In 2011 Jones was inducted into the Army Aviation Hall of Fame.
- Biography, Major General Anthony R. Jones Archived July 27, 2006, at the Wayback Machine, United States Army Europe & 7th Army web site, accessed December 17, 2011
- Biography, Lieutenant General Anthony R. Jones, U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command web site, accessed December 17, 2011
- Lack of Oversight Led to Abuse of Detainees, Investigator Says, by Mark Mazzetti, Los Angeles Times, March 09, 2005
- News article, Report Faults Intelligence Soldiers at Abu Ghraib Archived April 14, 2012, at the Wayback Machine, by Jim Garamone, American Forces Press Service, August 25, 2004
- Newspaper article, 4-Star General Is Dismissed Over Conduct, by Eric Schmitt, New York Times, August 10, 2005
- Local General To Lead Abu Ghraib Inquiry, by David Lerman, Newport News Daily Press, June 26, 2004
- Lt Gen. Anthony R. Jones guest speaker at 2007 Commissioning, The Bison News, Indiana University Alumni Association, Summer, 2007
- News release, Boeing Names Anthony R. Jones Vice President of Training Systems and Services Archived December 10, 2008, at the Wayback Machine, Boeing Company web site, November 1, 2006
- Anthony R. Jones page, Army Aviation Association of America web site, accessed December 17, 2011
Kevin P. Byrnes
| Commanding General, United States Army Training and Doctrine Command
2005 - 2005
William S. Wallace