Anthony Smith (fighter)
July 26, 1988 |
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
|Height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight||186 lb (84 kg; 13.3 st)|
|Division||Middleweight (185 lb)
Light Heavyweight (205 lb)
|Reach||77.5 in (197 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Omaha, Nebraska, United States|
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Anthony Smith (born July 26, 1988) is an American mixed martial artist currently competing in the UFC Middleweight division. A professional competitor since 2008, he has also formerly competed for Strikeforce and Bellator.
Mixed martial arts career
Smith started his career in 2008 and fought mainly for local promotions in the midwestern United States. He compiled a professional record of 13-7, with wins against WEC veterans Logan Clark, Eric Schambari and losses to UFC veterans Jake Hecht and Jesse Forbes, before signing with Strikeforce.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Return to Ultimate Fighting Championship
On February 16, 2016 Smith was re-signed to the UFC. He faced promotional newcomer Leonardo Augusto Leleco on February 21, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 83, replacing an injured Trevor Smith. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
Smith was briefly scheduled to face Scott Askham on July 8, 2016 at The Ultimate Fighter 23 Finale. However, Askham pulled out of the bout on April 28 and was replaced by Cezar Ferreira. He lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Smith is married and has children, two daughters.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Performance of the Night (One time) vs. Elvis Mutapcic
- Cage Fury Fighting Championships
- CFFC Middleweight Championship (One time, current)
- Victory Fighting Championships
- Victory FC Middleweight Championship (One time, current)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|39 matches||27 wins||12 losses|
|Win||27–12||Andrew Sanchez||KO (head kick and punches)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Reis||April 9, 2017||3||3:52||Kansas City, Missouri, United States|
|Win||26–12||Elvis Mutapcic||TKO (elbow and punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Tournament of Champions Finale||December 3, 2016||2||3:27||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||25–12||Cezar Ferreira||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Joanna vs. Team Cláudia Finale||July 8, 2016||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||25–11||Leonardo Augusto Guimarães||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Cowboy vs. Cowboy||February 21, 2016||3||5:00||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||24–11||Josh Neer||TKO (punches)||VFC 47||January 14, 2016||1||3:27||Omaha, Nebraska, United States||Won the VFC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||23–11||Brock Jardine||TKO (punches)||RFA 30: Smith vs. Jardine||September 18, 2015||1||3:00||Lincoln, Nebraska, United States|
|Win||22–11||Tim Williams||TKO (knee)||CFFC 50: Williams vs. Smith II||July 18, 2015||1||1:02||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Defended the CFFC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||21–11||Tim Williams||Submission (inverted armbar)||CFFC 46: Williams vs. Smith||February 28, 2015||2||1:15||Chester, Pennsylvania, United States||Won the CFFC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||20–11||Andrew Kapel||Submission (rear-naked choke)||EB: Beatdown at 4 Bears 12||November 29, 2014||1||2:18||New Town, North Dakota, United States|
|Win||19–11||Brian Green||Decision (unanimous)||Bellator 129||October 17, 2014||3||5:00||Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States|
|Win||18–11||Victor Moreno||Submission (triangle choke)||Bellator 117||April 18, 2014||2||0:59||Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States|
|Loss||17–11||Josh Neer||Submission (rear-naked choke)||VFC 41||December 14, 2013||3||3:48||Ralston, Nebraska, United States|
|Loss||17–10||Antônio Braga Neto||Submission (kneebar)||UFC on Fuel TV: Nogueira vs. Werdum||June 8, 2013||1||1:52||Fortaleza, Brazil|
|Loss||17–9||Roger Gracie||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine||January 12, 2013||2||3:16||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||17–8||Lumumba Sayers||Submission (triangle choke)||Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman||August 18, 2012||1||3:52||San Diego, California, United States|
|Win||16–8||Richard White||TKO (punches)||Disorderly Conduct: Fireworks||June 30, 2012||1||2:35||Nebraska City, Nebraska, United States|
|Win||15–8||Ian Berg||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||VFC: Victory Fighting Championship 37||April 13, 2012||2||2:01||Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States|
|Loss||14–8||Adlan Amagov||KO (punches)||Strikeforce Challengers: Britt vs. Sayers||November 18, 2011||1||2:32||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Catchweight (188 lbs) bout; Smith missed weight.|
|Win||14–7||Ben Lagman||KO (punch)||Strikeforce Challengers: Voelker vs. Bowling III||July 22, 2011||2||0:33||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||13–7||Curtis Johnson||KO (punches)||CFC 6: Slugfest||July 9, 2011||1||3:13||Lincoln, Nebraska, United States|
|Win||12–7||Eric Schambari||TKO (punches)||C3 Fights: MMA Championship Fights||June 4, 2011||1||1:46||Concho, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||11–7||Matt Gabel||Submission (triangle choke)||EC: Extreme Challenge 181||April 15, 2011||1||1:50||Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States|
|Win||10–7||Demetrius Richards||TKO (punches)||Extreme Challenge: Bad Blood||February 11, 2011||2||2:07||Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States|
|Win||9–7||Ben Crowder||KO (punch)||CFC 2: Season's Beatings||December 17, 2010||1||1:09||Lincoln, Nebraska, United States|
|Loss||8–7||Jesse Forbes||TKO (punches)||Crowbar MMA: Fall Brawl||September 11, 2010||2||1:28||Fargo, North Dakota, United States|
|Win||8–6||Logan Clark||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Seconds Out / Vivid MMA: Havoc at the Hyatt 2||June 19, 2010||2||2:22||Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States|
|Win||7–6||Lucas St. Claire||Submission (armbar)||MF: Max Fights 10||May 8, 2010||1||3:19||East Grand Forks, Minnesota, United States|
|Win||6–6||Mike George||KO (punch)||TriState Cage Fights: Island Warfare||April 17, 2010||1||0:22||Grand Island, Nebraska, United States|
|Loss||5–6||Jake Hecht||TKO (punches)||VFC 30: Night of Champions||February 5, 2010||3||4:35||Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States|
|Loss||5–5||Mike Pitz||Submission (punches)||FCI: Fight Club Inc.||July 25, 2009||2||3:21||Addison, Illinois, United States|
|Loss||5–4||Chaun Sims||TKO (punches)||Fight To Win: Colorado vs. Nebraska||March 14, 2009||2||2:00||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Loss||5–3||Brian Monahan||Submission (armbar)||VFC 26: Onslaught||February 20, 2009||1||N/A||Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States|
|Win||5–2||Rico Washington Sr.||Submission (punches)||MCS: Minnesota Combat Sports||January 9, 2009||1||0:54||Maplewood, Minnesota, United States|
|Loss||4–2||Charley Lynch||TKO (punches)||Brutaal: Fight Night||November 6, 2008||1||3:12||Maplewood, Minnesota, United States|
|Win||4–1||Chuck Parmelee||Submission (choke)||Torment: MMA||September 20, 2008||2||1:26||Lincoln, Nebraska, United States|
|Loss||3–1||Chuck Parmelee||TKO (punches)||TCF: TriState Cage Fights||June 14, 2008||2||N/A||Yankton, South Dakota, United States|
|Win||3–0||Ricky Duvall||N/A||VFC 23: Validation||May 9, 2008||N/A||N/A||Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States|
|Win||2–0||Jeremy Shepherd||Submission||PP: Pugilistic Productions||March 22, 2008||2||2:13||Lincoln, Nebraska, United States|
|Win||1–0||Dave Moran||Submission (armbar)||VFC 22: Ascension||February 29, 2008||2||1:19||Sioux City, Iowa, United States|
- "Anthony Smith - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- With Louis Taylor out, Anthony Smith faces Ben Lagman at Strikeforce Challengers 17[permanent dead link] by John Morgan (MMAJunkie.com) on July 13, 2011
- Strikeforce payouts and salaries for 'Voelker vs Bowling 3' event fighters on July 23 by Jesse Holland (MMAMania.com) on July 25, 2011
- Strikeforce Challengers 20 results recap for 'Britt vs Sayers' event on Nov. 18 by Adam Guillen Jr. (MMAMania.com) on November 19, 2011
- Strikeforce: Rousey Vs Kaufman Results – Fan Reaction by David King (sports.yahoo.com) on August 19, 2012
- Roger Gracie vs Anthony Smith joins Jan. 12 Strikeforce: Champions' card Archived December 5, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. MMAJunkie.com (November 29, 2012)
- John Morgan (March 18, 2013). "Waiting for UFC call, Anthony Smith eyes fights with Brunson, Lombard or Herman". mmajunkie.com.
- Matt Erickson (June 8, 2013). "UFC on FUEL TV 10 results: Antonio Braga Neto taps Anthony Smith with kneebar". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- Mike Bohn (2013-06-23). "Report: Karlos Vemola and Nah-Shon Burrell among six fighters released from the UFC". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Bellator 129 Headlined by Neer vs. Bradley".
- Staff (2016-02-16). "Anthony Smith returns to UFC, replaces Trevor Smith at Sunday's UFC Fight Night 83". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-02-21). "UFC Fight Night 83 results: Anthony Smith edges Leonardo Augusto Leleco". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- Staff (2016-04-06). "3 fights added to TUF 23 Finale in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
- Staff (2016-04-28). "Cezar Ferreira in for Scott Askham at TUF 23 Finale in Las Vegas vs. Anthony Smith". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-07-08). "TUF 23 Finale results: Cezar Ferreira uses takedown-heavy game plan to top Anthony Smith". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-08.
- Damon Martin (2016-09-20). "Elvis Mutapcic vs. Anthony Smith in the works for TUF 24 Finale". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2016-09-20.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-12-03). "TUF 24 Finale results: Anthony Smith crushes Elvis Mutapcic with vicious second-round elbow". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-12-03). "'TUF 24’ Finale bonuses: Cannonier, Cutelaba, McMann, Smith receive $50K checks". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- Staff (2017-02-11). "UFC heads to Kansas City for first time for UFC on FOX 24". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-02-11.
- Steven Marrocco (2017-04-15). "UFC on FOX 24 results: Anthony Smith turns tables on Andrew Sanchez late, wins by KO". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.