Tonkin playing for Oxford United in 2008
|Full name||Anthony Richard Tonkin|
|Date of birth||17 January 1980|
|Place of birth||Penzance, England|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|2007||→ Grays Athletic (loan)||12||(0)|
|2007–2008||Forest Green Rovers||38||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 19:56, 2 February 2015 (UTC).|
Born in Penzance, Cornwall, Tonkin began his career at Mousehole and Falmouth Town, where he finished as runners-up to Truro City in the South Western League in the 1997–98 season. His success with Falmouth attracted Yeovil Town, who signed him up in 1998, where he made 95 appearances and scored one goal in three years at the club. In 2002 he moved to Stockport County, where he spent a year before being transferred to Crewe Alexandra in August 2003 for a reported fee of £150,000. After more than 90 appearances in under three years, he was released and subsequently returned to Yeovil.
On 2 March 2007, he joined Grays Athletic on loan for the remainder of the season. He was released by Yeovil upon his return in May 2007. Two months later, he signed for Conference National club Forest Green Rovers, reportedly turning down Football League clubs to stay in the Southwest. He made 38 league appearances as the club finished in their highest-ever league placing, but was released at the end of the season.
Tonkin joined Cambridge United on 1 July 2008. In January 2010, Tonkin joined Oxford United for an undisclosed fee. In May 2012, Tonkin was released by the club after being deemed surplus to requirements. On 25 May 2012, Tonkin joined Aldershot Town on a one-year deal which sees him join former team mate Josh Payne at the Recreation Ground. He was a first team regular at Aldershot Town proving to be a consistent performer in an underperforming side.
However, the defender was released by Aldershot in February 2015 due to the club's relegation to the National League, but was soon signed by Southern League side Frome Town initially until the end of the 2014–15 season.
- Oxford United
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2007). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2007–08. Mainstream Publishing. p. 406. ISBN 978-1-84596-246-3.
- "Aldershot Town Football Club: All About: Anthony Tonkin Player News". Theshots.co.uk. Retrieved 3 February 2013.
- "Glovers swoop to re-sign Cranie". BBC Sport. 2 March 2007. Archived from the original on 4 March 2007. Retrieved 2 March 2007.
- "Tonkin opts for rovers switch". Football Conference. Archived from the original on 21 October 2007. Retrieved 29 July 2007.
- "Forest Green sign ex-Yeovil man". BBC Sport. 29 July 2007. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- "Forest Green allow six to leave". BBC Sport. 1 May 2008. Archived from the original on 6 May 2008. Retrieved 1 May 2008.
- "Brabin Makes First U's Signing". Cambridge United F.C. Retrieved 1 July 2008.
- "Tonkin Oxford Bound". Cambridge United F.C. Archived from the original on 9 January 2010. Retrieved 5 January 2010.
- "Trio land new Oxford deals". Sky Sports. 8 May 2012. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anthony Tonkin.|