1 March 1984 |
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||183 cm (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||100 kg (15 st 10 lb)|
|Position||Second-row, Lock, Prop|
|2005–2007||Prime Minister's XIII||3||0||0||0||0|
|2007–2008||New South Wales||4||0||0||0||0|
|2010||NRL All Stars||1||0||0||0||0|
|Source: NRL Stats, RLP|
Anthony Tupou (born 1 March 1984 in Newcastle, New South Wales) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer of Tongan descent who currently plays for the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks of the National Rugby League. An Australian international and New South Wales State of Origin representative second-row forward, he previously played for the Sydney Roosters.
Tupou made his first-grade debut in 2004 against the South Sydney Rabbitohs. In the September 2004 issue of Big League magazine, after making his debut with the Roosters, Tupou claimed that growing up his favourite player to watch was Queensland legend Mal Meninga. He also claimed that the biggest influence on his football was his father and his club coach Ricky Stuart. At the end of that season he played for the Roosters from the interchange bench in their 2004 NRL grand final loss to cross-Sydney rivals, the Bulldogs.
Tupou retained his Test spot in 2007 for the Anzac Test against New Zealand. Tupou made his début for New South Wales in Game 1 of the 2007 State of Origin series. Interestingly, his Test debut came before his Origin debut. However, he was dropped for Game 2.
In August 2008, Tupou was named in the Australia training squad for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup. He was named in the Australia squad for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup, replacing Michael Crocker who withdrew through injury. Although also named in the Tonga training squad for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup, Tupou played for Australia.
Tupou played for the Sharks mainly at second-row forward. Tupou was named in NSW's preliminary 40 man squad for the 2009 State of Origin series. He was selected for Country in the City vs Country match on 8 May 2009.
- NRL Profile
- "Player Profile, Anthony Tupou". Sydney Roosters. 2006-03-26. Archived from the original on 20 April 2007. Retrieved 2008-05-03.
- Country Origin
- Injury to Maitua Opens Door for Tupou
- "$1.5m makes Tupou a Shark". Herald Sun. 2008-04-22. Retrieved 2008-05-12.
- "Veteran Lockyer named in Australian squad". International Herald Tribune. 2008-08-01. Archived from the original on 16 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
- "Australia recall Tupou from Tonga". BBC. 2008-10-09. Archived from the original on 10 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-09.
- "Tug-of-war over Mason". Sky Sports. 2008-08-05. Archived from the original on 16 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- Balym, Todd (2009-05-03). "Blues halfback duel in two as Mitchell Pearce misses selection". Fox Sports. Retrieved 2009-05-03.
- "Cronulla Sharks players accept doping bans". The Sydney Morning Herald. 22 August 2014. Retrieved 29 August 2014.