Anthony Walters (American football)
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||September 19, 1988|
|Place of birth:||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||207 lb (94 kg)|
|High school:||Springfield (PA) Cardinal O'Hara|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2013|
Anthony Walters (born March 21, 1988) is an American football free safety who is currently a free agent. He was signed by the Chicago Bears as an undrafted free agent on July 26, 2011. He played college football for Delaware.
He also played for the Arizona Cardinals.
Walters played at Delaware, and played in all 50 games he appeared in, recording 258 tackles, 12 tackles for losses, one sack, 16 interceptions, and 31 passes broken up. Walters ranks second all-time in school history in pass breakups and fourth in interceptions.
After being signed by the Bears, Walters spent the first five weeks on the practice squad, and was elevated on October 11 after Winston Venable was released. However, on November 16, Walters was placed on injured reserve after sustaining a hamstring injury. In the third game of the 2012 preseason against the New York Giants, Walters tipped a David Carr pass to teammate Isaiah Frey with 1:06 left in the game, giving the Bears a 20-17 victory. In Week 15 against the Green Bay Packers, Walters recovered a fumbled lateral, but the Bears failed to capitalize on the recovery, and the Bears lost 21-13. Walters made his first career start in Week 17 against the Detroit Lions after an injury to Chris Conte. In 2013, Walters ranked fifth among Bears players in special teams tackles with 10. Walters became a restricted free agent after the 2013 season.
Second stint with the Bears
Second stint with the Cardinals
On August 18, 2015, Walters was signed by the Cardinals. On September 5, 2015, he was released by the Cardinals.
- "Bears land wave of undrafted free agents - Chicago Tribune". Chicago Tribune. 2011-07-26. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "Tillman: Defensive players need to 'man up'". Chicagobears.com. 2011-10-11. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "Steltz, Walters to help fill void at safety". Chicagobears.com. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- Oestmann, Adam. "Bears Sign Winston Venable; Place Anthony Walters on Injured Reserve | Chicago Bears Huddle". Chicagonow.com. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- Mayer, Larry. "Walters pushing for roster spot". Chicagobears.com. Retrieved 2012-08-29.
- Schwab, Frank (2012-12-16). "Packers run one of the most inane trick plays ever seen, fumble it away to Bears (VIDEO)". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- Mayer, Larry (2012-12-30). "Larry Mayer's Bears-Lions blog". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2013-01-04.
- Mayer, Larry (2014-01-31). "Gould gave Bears leg to stand on". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- Noble, Dan (2013-12-30). "Chicago Bears 2014 Free Agents: Jay Cutler among biggest questions of offseason". SB Nation. Retrieved 2013-12-31.
- Cardinals Cut To 53
- Mayer, Larry (2014-11-29). "Bears sign safety Anthony Walters". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- Mayer, Larry (April 2, 2015). "Bears release safety Anthony Walters". Chicago Bears. Retrieved April 2, 2015.
- Urban, Darren (September 5, 2015). "Cardinals Make Final Roster Cuts". AZCardinals.com. Retrieved September 11, 2015.