Anthony Wong Yiu-ming
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||British Hong Kong|
|Labels||People Mountain People Sea|
|Associated acts||Tat Ming Pair|
|Website||People Mountain People Sea|
Anthony Wong Yiu-ming (Chinese: 黃耀明; born 16 June 1962) is a Hong Kong singer and record producer. He rose to prominence as the vocalist for Cantopop duo Tat Ming Pair during the 1980s. Wong is the director for music production company People Mountain People Sea.
Wong began his career as a DJ at Commercial Radio Hong Kong in 1984. In the following year, he answered a singer-wanted advertisement in a music magazine posted by Tats Lau. They then formed the group Tat Ming Pair, which was later signed by Polygram. After the group disbanded in 1990, Wong continued as a solo singer and later as a producer. In the mid 90s, he reached the peak of his musical career with songs like '’Blow Up'’ (春光乍洩), 每日一禁果 (literally "A Forbidden Fruit-Once a Day").
In 1999, he founded the music production company People Mountain People Sea with a group of artists and musicians in Hong Kong. The company produced and published albums not only for high-profiled Pop singers like Leslie Cheung, Faye Wong, Sandy Lam, Eason Chan, Nicholas Tse and Miriam Yeung, but also published works for other relatively "alternative/ experimental" singers, composers, bands and groups, such as at17 and PixelToy.
Wong had been noted in the past as "deliberately ambiguous – or better: opaque – about his sexual identity". Following the conclusion of his concert series at the Hong Kong Coliseum in April 2012, Wong publicly came out as gay, stating "People don't need to guess whether or not I'm a tongzhi (同志) anymore...I'm saying, I'm gay. I'm a homosexual. G-A-Y."
- 信望愛 (January 1992)
- 借借你的愛 (1993)
- 明明不是天使 (1994) (in Mandarin)
- 愈夜愈美麗 (1995)
- 5餅2魚 (1996)
- 風月寶鑑 (1997)
- People Mountain People Sea 人山人海 (1997)
- 下世紀再嬉戲 (1999)
- Walking With Wings 花天走地 (July 2000)
- In Broad Daylight 光天化日 (2000)
- CrossOver EP (with Leslie Cheung) (2 July 2002)
- Acoustic... and a little more (2002)
- My 21st century 我的廿一世紀 (2003)
- 明日之歌 (2004)
- 若水 (30 November 2006)
- King of the Road (October 2008)
- 拂了一身還滿 (28 October 2011)
- Anthony + Jan Live in Music (1998)
- In Broad Daylight Concert 光天化日演唱會 (2000)
- Anthony x Miriam Yeung Live in Music (2004)
- 黃耀明滿天神佛攞命舞會Live03 (2004)
- HKPO VS Anthony Wong Live Bauhinian Rhapsody(2006)
- Jeroen de Kloet -China With a Cut: Globalisation, Urban Youth and Popular Music 2010 – Page 136 "Anthony Wong remains deliberately ambiguous – or better: opaque – about his sexual identity, but incorporates clearly homosexual themes. Such themes are never rendered fixed, but instead are always open to negotiation, redefinition and ..."
- Chen, Te-Ping (25 April 2012). "Pop Star's Stadium-Style Coming Out". Wall Street Journal China. Retrieved 25 April 2012.