|Alma mater||Princeton University|
|Institutions||University of California, Santa Barbara|
|Doctoral advisor||Sidney Coleman|
|Doctoral students||Stephen Barr|
Anthony Zee (Chinese: 徐一鴻, b. 1945) (Zee comes from /ʑi23/, the Shanghainese pronunciation of 徐) is a Chinese-American physicist, writer, and currently a professor at the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics and the physics department of the University of California, Santa Barbara.
After graduating from Princeton University, Zee obtained his PhD from Harvard University in 1970, supervised by Sidney Coleman. During 1970–72 and 1977–78, he was at the Institute for Advanced Study. From 1973 to 1978, he was an Alfred P. Sloan Fellow. In his first year as assistant professor at Princeton, Zee had Ed Witten as his teaching assistant and grader.
Zee has authored or co-authored more than 200 scientific publications and several books. He has written on particle physics, condensed matter physics, anomalies in physics, random matrix theory, superconductivity, the quantum Hall effect, and other topics in theoretical physics and evolutionary biology, as well as their various interrelations.
Zee is an accomplished teacher, covering both general relativity and quantum field theory. The culmination of his teaching is his highly regarded and widely praised "trilogy" of graduate level textbooks: Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell, Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell, and Group Theory in a Nutshell for Physicists. He is also the author of several books for general readers about physics and Chinese culture.
- 1982. Unity of Forces in the Universe. Singapore: World Scientific.
- 2010. Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell. 2nd ed. Princeton University Press. ISBN 978-0691140346
- 2013. Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell. Princeton University Press. ISBN 978-0691145587
- 2016. Group Theory in a Nutshell for Physicists. Princeton University Press. ISBN 978-0691162690
- 1989. An Old Man's Toy, Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-02-633440-2
- 1990. Swallowing Clouds. University of Washington Press. ISBN 978-0-671-74724-4
- 2007. Fearful Symmetry: The Search for Beauty in Modern Physics, 2nd ed. Princeton University Press. Foreword by Roger Penrose. ISBN 978-0-691-00946-9. 1986 1st ed. published by Macmillan; 2016 pbk edition published by Princeton University Press ISBN 978-0-691-17326-9
- 2018. On Gravity: A Brief Tour of a Weighty Subject. Princeton University Press. 2018. ISBN 9780691174389.
- 2020. Fly by Night Physics: How Physicists Use the Backs of Envelopes. Princeton University Press. 2020. ISBN 9780691182544.
- Deutsche Nationalbibliothek "Zee, A."
- Peskin, Michael E. (2011). "Review of Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell (2nd edn)". Classical and Quantum Gravity. 28 (8): 089003. doi:10.1088/0264-9381/28/8/089003.
- Bultheel, Adhemar (2 December 2016). "Review of Fearful Symmetry: The Search for Beauty in Modern Physics". European Mathematical Society.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to Anthony Zee.|
- Anthony Zee's Personal Web Page
- "Quantum Field Theory, Anthony Zee | Lecture 1 of 4". YouTube. aoflex. 7 December 2013. (lectures given in 2004)
- "Quantum Field Theory, Anthony Zee | Lecture 2 of 4". YouTube. aoflex. 7 December 2013.
- "Quantum Field Theory, Anthony Zee | Lecture 3 of 4". YouTube. aoflex. 7 December 2013.
- "Quantum Field Theory, Anthony Zee | Lecture 4 of 4". YouTube. aoflex. 7 December 2013.
- "A Brief Introduction to General Relativity - with Anthony Zee". YouTube. The Royal Institution. 27 August 2020. Archived from the original on 21 December 2021.
- Zee, Anthony (14 October 2020). "Quantum Theory in a Nutshell". YouTube. CUPS - Cambridge University Physics Society. Archived from the original on 21 December 2021.