Anthony da Costa
|Anthony da Costa|
Da Costa at the Acoustic Cafe
|Birth name||Anthony da Costa|
Bronx, NY, U.S.A.
|Genres||Folk, Singer-Songwriter, Americana|
|Instruments||Guitar, harmonica, piano|
Fred Gillen, Jr.
Anthony da Costa (born 1991 in Bronx, NY) is an American singer-songwriter based in Pleasantville, NY. He performs frequently at coffeehouses, theaters, and festivals across the Northeast and beyond. He names Ryan Adams, Dan Bern, and Josh Ritter as some of his biggest songwriting influences. Anthony's song "Poor Poor Pluto" about the loss of Pluto as a planet, has become a cult-hit along the folk music circuit, as well as "Dolly and Porter", the love story of two country music superstars, Dolly Parton and Porter Wagoner. Anthony is also known for his work with Abbie Gardner, a dobro player and singer/songwriter from the band Red Molly. Their first duo album, Bad Nights/Better Days, was released in May 2008. In August 2009, da Costa released "Not Afraid of Nothing", co-produced by John Elliott of the Hereafter. He has been attending Columbia University since fall 2009, and has already been active in the University's music performance scene, frequently performing at Postcrypt Coffeehouse which he now helps organize and book. In 2012, da Costa released his latest solo album, "Secret Handshake", co-produced by himself and James Frazee.
Awards and honors
- Winner of the 2007 Kerrville Folk Festival New Folk 
- Winner 2007 Falcon Ridge Folk Festival Emerging Artist Competition.
- 2007 Mountain Stage New Song NE Regional Finalist
- Showcased at the Tin Pan South Songwriters Festival in Nashville
- Nominated as Folk Alliance Emerging Artist of the Year.
- Received specific mention in the New York Times by virtue of his sideburns.
- 2009 Named one of WFUV's New Artists to Watch 
- Already There EP (2005)
- Rearrange (2006)
- Quality Time (2007)
- Typical American Tragedy (2008)
- Not Afraid of Nothing (2009)
- Secret Handshake (2012)
- DaCosta (2015)
- Gary and Anthony with Gary Bier (2006)
- Eclectic Basement Abnormalities, Bier, da Costa, and Quakers United (2006)
- Bad Nights, Better Days with Abbie Gardner of Red Molly (2008)
- Always Mean It with Emilyn Brodsky on Emilyn Brodsky's Greatest Tits (2008)