Anti-Corruption and Civil Rights Commission
|Anti-Corruption and Civil Rights Commission|
The Korean Anti-Corruption and Civil Rights Commission (ACRC) was launched on February 29, 2008 by the integration of the Ombudsman of Korea, the Korea Independent Commission Against Corruption and the Administrative Appeals Commission. The consolidation of these three organizations was intended to provide citizens with a speedier and more convenient service for filing public complaints and administrative appeals, and for thereby fighting corruption.
ACRC is intended to overhaul the legal and institutional framework in order to offer more convenient and efficient public service to the people by swiftly resolving grievances and spreading a culture of integrity.
The Anti-Corruption and Civil Rights Commission (ACRC) performs the following three functions;
- Handle and address public complaints and improve related unreasonable systems
- Build a clean society by preventing and detering corruption in the public sector
- Protect people's rights from illegal and unfair administrative practices through the administrative appeals system
The legal ground for the foundation of ACRC is the Act on Anti-Corruption and the Establishment and Operation of ACRC (act no. 9402).
Chairpersons of the Commission
- Sung Yung Hoon (December 2015 -, Current Chairperson )
- Lee Sung Bo (December 2012 - December 2015)
- Kim Young Ran (January 2011 - November 2012)
- Lee Jae Oh (September 2009 - June 2010)
- Yang Kun (March 2008 – August 2009)
Structure of ACRC
ACRC consists of a total of 15 commissioners including 1 Chairman (minister-level), 3 Vice-Chairmen (vice minister-level), 3 Standing Commissioners and 8 Non-standing Commissioners. To deal with administrative tasks, the secretariat is set up, divided into three bureaus of Ombudsman, Anti-Corruption and Administrative Appeals. They are headed by each vice-chairman. The status and independence in work of all commissioners are guaranteed by the law.
- Major Changes and Achievements Since the Launch of ACRC
- Ombudsman Annul Report 2008
- Anti-Corruption Annul Report 2008