Eddie Brock as Anti-Venom. Artwork for the cover of Amazing Spider-Man Presents: Anti-Venom - New Ways to Live #1 (September 2009 Marvel Comics). Art by Mirco Pierfederici.
|First appearance||The Amazing Spider-Man #569 (October 2008)|
John Romita Jr.
The Anti-Venom symbiote is a fictional character appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. It first appeared in The Amazing Spider-Man #569 and was created by Dan Slott and John Romita Jr. The creature belongs to a race of amorphous extraterrestrial parasites known as the Symbiotes and is one of Venom's symbiotic offspring.
Fictional character biography
The 2008 story "New Ways to Die" features the first appearance of Anti-Venom. Eddie Brock gets a job at a soup kitchen under Martin Li. Brock is unknowingly cured of his cancer by Li, who possesses special abilities, and Brock believes it to be a miracle. After Brock is attacked by Mac Gargan who is the current Venom, the symbiote attempts to reunite with Brock. Brock's skin becomes caustic to the symbiote and he is enveloped in a new white symbiote forged from the remnants of the Venom symbiote in his body bonding with his white blood cells charged with Li's healing energy, becoming Anti-Venom. Eddie later sacrificed his Anti-Venom symbiote to cure people from the Spider-Island virus.
During the "AXIS" storyline, a new Anti-Venom is seen in the crowd of new heroes attending a "self help" style seminar being held by Roderick Kingsley (the first Hobgoblin). All the new heroes have been given heroic personas by Kingsley that already exist, but are no longer used. It is not shown whether the new Anti-Venom is indeed a symbiote or just a man in a suit designed to look like the original symbiote. However, the speech bubble used for the character is stylized in a way to suggest a distortion of the characters voice similar to the way Eddie Brock spoke when he had the Anti-Venom symbiote.
During the "Venom Inc." arc, Dr. Steven used elements of the Anti-Venom symbiote to create a new cure for the Venom symbiote's toxic shock syndrome that could adapt alongside it. When high concentrations of this serum was exposed to the Venom symbiote's biomass bonded to Flash Thompson, the Anti-Venom symbiote was recreated.
Powers and abilities
Anyone possessed by the Anti-Venom symbiote possesses superhuman strength, durability, and stamina, an accelerated healing factor, genetic memory, detection of its Symbiote offspring, wall-crawling, web-generating abilities, spider-senses, immunity to Spider-Man's spider-senses, and camouflage.
Unlike the other Symbiotes, the original Anti-Venom symbiote used by Eddie Brock is immune to fire, heat, and sound-based attacks. In addition, the Anti-Venom symbiote can produce antibodies that can "cure" a person afflicted by things like radioactivity, parasites, diseases, and drugs. The new Anti-Venom symbiote used by Flash Thompson also has the ability to heal physical injuries as well. Due to its failed attempt at curing Spider-Man's radiation-based powers, Anti-Venom causes Spider-Man's powers to cancel out when too close to Spider-Man.
However, Anti-Venom does possess a few weaknesses of its own. It is vulnerable to high concentrations of Norman Osborn's super-venom via Freak's DNA. Additionally since Martin Li's healing touch created the Anti-Venom symbiote, Mister Negative's corrupting touch can interfere or halt Anti-Venom's healing abilities. Also as seen during the Spider-Island event, overusing his healing powers can cause Anti-Venom's powers to weaken.
In other media
The Anti-Venom symbiote made its animated debut on Ultimate Spider-Man vs the Sinister Six, voiced by Matt Lanter. Introduced in its self-titled episode, this version is created by Doctor Octopus and Michael Morbius from a sample of Agent Venom's symbiote and Harry Osborn is its host. Anti-Venom eventually destroys itself curing New York of the infestation caused by the Carnage symbiote.
- Slott, Dan (w), Romita Jr., John (p), Janson, Klaus (i), White, Dean (col), Petit, Cory (let), Brennan, Tom, Wacker, Stephen, Brevoort, Tom (ed). "New Ways to Die, Part One: Back with Vengeance" The Amazing Spider-Man 568 (October 2008), New York, NY: Marvel Comics
- Slott, Dan (w), Romita Jr., John (p), Janson, Klaus (i), White, Dean (col), Petit, Cory (let), Brennan, Tom, Wacker, Stephen, Brevoort, Tom (ed). "New Ways To Die, Part Two: The Osborn Supremacy" The Amazing Spider-Man 569 (October 2008), New York, NY: Marvel Comics
- Shinick, Kevin (w), Rodríguez, Javier (p), Lopez, Alvaro (i), Rodríguez, Javier (col), Cowles, Clayton (let), Pyle, Ellie (ed). "Got A Problem? Call Hobgoblin!" AXIS: Hobgoblin 1 (December 2014), New York, NY: Marvel Comics
- Slott, Dan, Costa, Mike (w), Stegman, Ryan (p), Stegman, Ryan (i), Reber, Brian (col), Caramagna, Joe (let), Lowe, Nick, Lewis, Devin, Stock, Allison, Groneman, Thomas (ed). "Venom Inc. Part One" Amazing Spider-Man: Venom Inc. Alpha 1 (February 2018), New York, NY: Marvel Comics
- Slott, Dan, Costa, Mike (w), Stegman, Ryan, Sandoval, Gerardo (p), Leisten, Jay (i), Reber, Brian (col), Caramagna, Joe (let), Lowe, Nick, Lewis, Devin, Stock, Allison, Groneman, Thomas (ed). "Venom Inc. Part Six" Amazing Spider-Man: Venom Inc. Omega 1 (March 2018), New York, NY: Marvel Comics
- Wayne, Matt; Kim, Jae Woo (April 3, 2016). "Anti-Venom". Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man vs. the Sinister 6. Season 4. Episode 8. Disney XD.
- Kato, Matthew (March 31, 2011). "Save Peter Parker in Spider-Man: Edge of Time". Game Informer. GameStop. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- Anti-Venom Symbiote at Marvel Database