Anti-Venom (Marvel Comics)
Eddie Brock as Anti-Venom. Artwork for the cover of Amazing Spider-Man Presents: Anti-Venom - New Ways to Live #1 (September 2009 Marvel Comics). Art by Mirco Pierfederici.
|First appearance||The Amazing Spider-Man #569 (October 2008)|
|Created by||Dan Slott|
John Romita Jr.
|In story information|
|Type||Symbiote–Human white blood cells|
|Element of stories featuring||Eddie Brock, Flash Thompson|
Anti-Venom symbiote is a fictional character appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. It first appeared in The Amazing Spider-Man #569 (October 2008), and was created by Dan Slott and John Romita Jr. The creature belongs to a race of amorphous extraterrestrial parasites known as the Symbiotes and is considered as Venom's symbiotic brother.
The 2008 story "New Ways to Die" features the first appearance of Anti-Venom. Eddie Brock gets a job at a soup kitchen under Martin Li. Brock is unknowingly cured of his cancer by Li, who possesses the Lightforce abilities, and Brock believes it to be a miracle. After Brock is attacked by Mac Gargan, who is the current Venom, the symbiote attempts to reunite with Brock, at which point Brock's skin becomes caustic to the Venom symbiote. Brock is enveloped in a new white “Anti-Venom” symbiote when remnants of the Venom symbiote in his body merge with special antibodies (produced by his white blood cells) due to Li's Lightforce energy. Eddie later sacrificed his Anti-Venom symbiote to cure people from the spider-virus during the Spider-Island event.
During the "AXIS" storyline, a new Anti-Venom is seen in the crowd of new heroes attending a "self help" style seminar being held by Roderick Kingsley (the first Hobgoblin). All the new heroes have been given heroic personas by Kingsley that already exist, but are no longer used. It is not shown whether the new Anti-Venom is indeed a symbiote or just a man in a suit designed to look like the original symbiote. However, the speech bubble used for the character is stylized in a way to suggest a distortion of the character's voice similar to the way Eddie Brock spoke when bonded with the Anti-Venom symbiote.
During the "Venom Inc." arc, Dr. Steven used elements of the Anti-Venom symbiote to create a new cure for the Venom symbiote's toxic shock syndrome that could adapt alongside it. When high concentrations of this serum was exposed to the Venom symbiote's biomass bonded to Flash Thompson, the Anti-Venom symbiote was recreated.
Powers and abilities
Anyone possessed by the Anti-Venom symbiote possesses superhuman strength, durability, and stamina, an accelerated healing factor, genetic memory, detection of its Symbiote offspring, wall-crawling, web-generating abilities, spider-senses, immunity to Spider-Man's spider-senses, and camouflage.
Unlike the other Symbiotes, the original Anti-Venom symbiote used by Eddie Brock is immune to fire, heat, and sound-based attacks. In addition, the Anti-Venom symbiote can produce antibodies that can "cure" a person afflicted by things like radioactivity, parasites, diseases, and drugs. The new Anti-Venom symbiote used by Flash Thompson also has the ability to heal physical injuries as well. Due to its failed attempt at curing Spider-Man's radiation-based powers, Anti-Venom causes Spider-Man's powers to cancel out when too close to Spider-Man.
However, Anti-Venom does possess a few weaknesses of its own. It is vulnerable to high concentrations of Norman Osborn's super-venom via Freak's DNA. Additionally since Martin Li's Lightforce touch created the Anti-Venom symbiote, Mister Negative's Darkforce touch can interfere or halt Anti-Venom's healing abilities. Also as seen during the Spider-Island event, overusing his healing powers can cause Anti-Venom's powers to weaken.
In What If? Peter Parker became Kraven the Hunter where Peter killed Kraven and replaced him as the new hunter, Madame Web hired Anti-Venom, Spider-Woman and Venom in order to stop Peter, however, despite being successful in mortally injuring him, they were all defeated.
In other media
The Anti-Venom symbiote's animated debut is seen on Ultimate Spider-Man vs the Sinister Six, voiced by Matt Lanter. This version is created by Doctor Octopus and Michael Morbius from a sample of the Venom symbiote, and Harry Osborn is its host. In its self-titled episode "Anti-Venom", this symbiote is created as a candidate for Doc Ock's Sinister Six. Anti-Venom nearly kills Agent Venom only to be stopped by an ion inhibitor used by Spider-Man and Iron Patriot which leaves Anti-Venom inactive, and its host in a coma. The Anti-Venom symbiote returns in "The Symbiote Saga" three-part episode. During the Carnage symbiote's infestation of New York, Anti-Venom awakens and neutralizes Carnage's various hosts. Anti-Venom almost gets consumed by Carnage's 'heart' until Spider-Man's secret identity is revealed to get through to Harry. Anti-Venom is sacrificed to cure New York of Carnage's infestation. Anti-Venom's abilities are later acclimated by the Carnage Queen.
- The Eddie Brock iteration of Anti-Venom appears in Spider-Man: Edge of Time, voiced by Steven Blum.
- The Eddie Brock iteration of Anti-Venom appears as a playable character in Spider-Man Unlimited.
- The Eddie Brock iteration of Anti-Venom is a playable character in the defunct Facebook game Marvel: Avengers Alliance.
- The Anti-Venom symbiote is an available uniform for Venom (Eddie Brock) in Marvel: Future Fight.
- Several variations of the Anti-Venom costume appear in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.
- Slott, Dan (w), Romita Jr., John (p), Janson, Klaus (i), White, Dean (col), Petit, Cory (let), Brennan, Tom, Wacker, Stephen, Brevoort, Tom (ed). "New Ways to Die, Part One: Back with Vengeance" The Amazing Spider-Man 568 (October 2008), New York, NY: Marvel Comics
- Slott, Dan (w), Romita Jr., John (p), Janson, Klaus (i), White, Dean (col), Petit, Cory (let), Brennan, Tom, Wacker, Stephen, Brevoort, Tom (ed). "New Ways To Die, Part Two: The Osborn Supremacy" The Amazing Spider-Man 569 (October 2008), New York, NY: Marvel Comics
- Shinick, Kevin (w), Rodríguez, Javier (p), Lopez, Alvaro (i), Rodríguez, Javier (col), Cowles, Clayton (let), Pyle, Ellie (ed). "Got A Problem? Call Hobgoblin!" AXIS: Hobgoblin 1 (December 2014), New York, NY: Marvel Comics
- Slott, Dan, Costa, Mike (w), Stegman, Ryan (p), Stegman, Ryan (i), Reber, Brian (col), Caramagna, Joe (let), Lowe, Nick, Lewis, Devin, Stock, Allison, Groneman, Thomas (ed). "Venom Inc. Part One" Amazing Spider-Man: Venom Inc. Alpha 1 (February 2018), New York, NY: Marvel Comics
- Slott, Dan, Costa, Mike (w), Stegman, Ryan, Sandoval, Gerardo (p), Leisten, Jay (i), Reber, Brian (col), Caramagna, Joe (let), Lowe, Nick, Lewis, Devin, Stock, Allison, Groneman, Thomas (ed). "Venom Inc. Part Six" Amazing Spider-Man: Venom Inc. Omega 1 (March 2018), New York, NY: Marvel Comics
- What If? Spider-Man #1. Marvel Comics
- Wayne, Matt; Kim, Jae Woo (April 3, 2016). "Anti-Venom". Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man vs. the Sinister 6. Season 4. Episode 8. Disney XD.
- Kato, Matthew (March 31, 2011). "Save Peter Parker in Spider-Man: Edge of Time". Game Informer. GameStop. Retrieved December 11, 2017.