This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
When metallic materials are put into corrosive environments, they tend to have chemical reactions with the air and/or water. The effects of corrosion become evident on the surfaces of these materials. For example, after putting the iron into a corrosive atmosphere for an extended period, the iron starts rusting due to oxygen interaction with water on the iron's surface.
Metal equipment lacking any preventive (anti-corrosive) measures, may become rusted both inside and out, depending upon atmospheric conditions and how much of that equipment is exposed to the air. There are a number of methods for preventing corrosion, especially in marine applications. Anti-corrosion measures are of particular importance in environments where high humidity, mist, and salt are factors.
Protection from corrosion
- Anti-corrosion materials
- Stainless steel
- Electrogalvanized cold-rolled steel (SECC), a type of zinc-plated steel, used as a housing to protect electronic components
- Barrier coatings provide a consistent film that forms a chemically resistant barrier and blocks external factors from causing harm. 
- Sacrificial coatings contain certain element (such as aluminum or zinc) which oxidize sacrificially to ensure the protected element remains corrosion free.
- Enclosure design: fully sealed enclosures (at least full IP65) to protect internal electronic components, used in highly salty and damp places
- Painting treatments on the surface: Another way to protect metal housings from corrosion is by using anti-corrosive paint or powder coat on the metallic surface. The function of this coating is to act as a barrier that inhibits contact between chemical compounds or corrosive materials with the metal housing.
- "What is corrosion resistance?". www.corrosionist.com. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- "Engineering ToolBox" Check
|url=value (help). www.engineeringtoolbox.com. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- "Protective Coatings and Inorganic Anti Corrosion Pigments". www.astm.org. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- "Electro Galvanized Steel | Rolled Steel Products « Rolled Steel Products". www.rolledsteel.com. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- "Anti corrosion coatings". www.spiperformancecoatings.com. Retrieved 2016-09-07.
- "Corrosion Resistance - DECC Company". www.decc.com. Retrieved 2015-10-15.