|Trade names||HyperTET S/D, others|
|Synonyms||tetanus immune globulin, tetanus antitoxin|
Anti-tetanus immunoglobulin, also known as tetanus immune globulin (TIG) and tetanus antitoxin, is a medication made up of antibodies against the tetanus toxin. It is used to prevent tetanus in those who have a wound that is at high risk and have not been fully vaccinated with tetanus toxoid. It is also used to treat tetanus along with antibiotics and muscle relaxants. It is given by injection into a muscle.
Common side effects include pain at the site of injection and fever. Allergic reactions including anaphylaxis may rarely occur. There is also a very low risk of the spread of infections such as viral hepatitis and HIV/AIDS with the human version. Use during pregnancy is deemed acceptable. It is made from either human or horse blood plasma.
Use of the horse version became common in the 1910s, while the human version came into frequent use in the 1960s. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system. The wholesale cost in the developing world for the horse version is about US$0.90–3.60 per 1500 iu vial, while the human version is US$10.00–46.86 for 250 iu. The human version may be unavailable in the developing world. In the United States a course of treatment costs about $100–200. The horse version is not typically used in the developed world due to the risk of serum sickness.
- "Tetanus Immune Globulin". The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. Archived from the original on 9 January 2017. Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- "Tetanus immune globulin Use During Pregnancy | Drugs.com". www.drugs.com. Archived from the original on 9 January 2017. Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- International Encyclopedia of Public Health (2 ed.). Academic Press. 2016. p. 161. ISBN 9780128037089. Archived from the original on 2017-01-09.
- Plotkin, Stanley A.; Orenstein, Walter A.; Offit, Paul A. (2012). Vaccines. Elsevier Health Sciences. pp. 103, 757. ISBN 1455700908. Archived from the original on 2017-01-09.
- "WHO Model List of Essential Medicines (19th List)" (PDF). World Health Organization. April 2015. Archived (PDF) from the original on 13 December 2016. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- "Tetanus Antitoxin". International Drug Price Indicator Guide. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- "Immunoglobulin Prices 2013 - PAHO/WHO". PAHO. Archived from the original on 7 June 2016. Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- "Immunoglobulin, Anti-Tetanus". International Drug Price Indicator Guide. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- Hamilton, Richart (2015). Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia 2015 Deluxe Lab-Coat Edition. Jones & Bartlett Learning. p. 320. ISBN 9781284057560.
- Fauci, Anthony S.; Braunwald, Eugene; Kasper, Dennis L.; Hauser, Stephen; Longo, Dan; Jameson, J. Larry; Loscalzo, Joseph (2008). Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 17th Edition. McGraw Hill Professional. p. 773. ISBN 9780071641142. Archived from the original on 2017-01-09.