AntiVirus Gold interface running Windows.
|Aliases||Antivirus Golden, Antispyware Gold, AntiSpyGolden, AntiSpyKit, Adware Delete, SpyAxe, SpyFalcon, MalwareWiped, Spyware Sheriff, Spyware Strike, TitanShield Antispyware, Virusblast, a clone of Spysheriff|
|Type||Scareware and malware|
|Author(s)||ICommerce Solutions S.A.|
|Operating system(s) affected||Windows|
AntiVirus Gold is rogue software developed by ICommerce Solutions S.A. that poses as a legitimate antivirus program. It attempts to persuade users to buy the software by displaying ads and other nagware. It is believed that the name of the program is an attempt at social engineering to confuse people about the legitimate program AVG Anti-Virus.
AntiVirus Gold may be downloaded in a bundle with other software or by some Trojan horse software. Antivirus Gold has also been rebranded under many names such as Antivirus Golden and Antispyware Gold.
Symptoms of infection
In a typical infection, the desktop wallpaper is modified and an advertisement is displayed urging the user to buy Antivirus Gold. Upon clicking on the message, a web browser is opened to point to www.AntiVirus-Gold.com. Users have also reported that they are being directed to the site after clicking on the infected desktop. The program attempts to reinstall itself after a reboot if removed by uninstalling or system restore.
AntiVirus Gold is detected in common anti-virus programs, including CA Antispyware, the Norton family of security products, and ironically AVG Anti-Virus. Anti-malware programs, such as Malwarebytes' AntiMalware, are also very effective in detecting and removing rogue software such as AntiVirus Gold. This may prevent its detection and removal by some legitimate antispyware programs.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-03-14. Retrieved 2008-08-19.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "How to remove Antivirus Gold or AVGold - Spyware and Malware Removal Guides Archive". Retrieved 11 November 2018.
- "Spyware Warrior: Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites". www.spywarewarrior.com. Retrieved 11 November 2018.
- "AntiVirusGold - Symantec". www.symantec.com. Retrieved 11 November 2018.
- "AVG Antivirus Experience by Harry Brown". Retrieved 30 November 2019.