Antigua Boat Sheds
|Antigua Boat Sheds|
|Address||2 Cambridge Terrace|
|Town or city||Christchurch|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Albert Shaw and J T Tidd|
|Designated||10 September 2004|
The Antigua Boat Sheds in Christchurch, New Zealand is an historic building on the banks of the Avon River. It is possibly the only 18th-century example of a commercial boat shed situated on a river in New Zealand. It has been used as a boat shed continuously since its completion in 1882.
The sheds are named after Antigua Street and the Antigua Bridge, which is today the northern terminus of Antigua Street; although until 1904, Antigua Street extended as far north as Armagh Street. The boat sheds are right next to the northern end of the Antigua Bridge and opposite Christchurch Hospital.
The sheds where built between 1882 and 1883 by two Lyttelton boat builders Albert Shaw and J.T. Tidd. They launched their first boat on 28 July 1882. Samuel Anstey took over the boat sheds in 1896 and introduced photographic services from within the boat sheds. On 14 May 1907 a fire destroyed half of the Antigua Boat Sheds along with around half the boats. The eastern end was replaced by a new two-storey section. The business was taken over by Maurice and Diane Phipps in 1978. In 1986, they sold the business to their daughter and son-in-law, Mike and Sally Jones, and later they sold them the building, too. As of 2017, the Jones' are still the proprietors of the business.
The building was classified as a "Category II" historic place by Heritage New Zealand in 10 September 2004 with registration number 1825. It was upgraded to "Category I" on 19 February 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Antigua Boat Sheds.|
- "History". Antigua Boatsheds. 2013-10-14. Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- "Search the List | Antigua Boat Sheds | Heritage New Zealand". www.heritage.org.nz. Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- "Archives New Zealand Christchurch Online: Edward Jollie Map - Zoom". www.archives.govt.nz. Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- Harper, Margaret (29 Dec 2016). "Christchurch Street Names: A" (PDF). Christchurch City Libraries. Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- Harper, Margaret (29 Dec 2016). "Christchurch Street Names: R" (PDF). Christchurch City Libraries. p. 70. Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- "News of the Day". The Press. XXXIX (5579). 6 August 1883. p. 2. Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- "Fires". The Press. LXIII (12804). 15 May 1907. p. 7. Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- "Christchurch Civic Trust Newsletter Nov 2010" (PDF). Christchurch Civic Trust. Nov 2010. Retrieved 29 Dec 2016.
- "History". Antigua Boat Sheds. Retrieved 21 January 2017.
- McDonald, Liz (26 December 2016). "Antigua boat sheds at milestone". The Press. p. A9. Retrieved 21 January 2017.