Antioch on the Maeander
|Location||Aydın Province, Turkey|
Antioch on the Maeander or Antiochia on the Maeander (Greek: Ἀντιόχεια τοῦ Μαιάνδρου; Latin: Antiochia ad Maeandrum), earlier Pythopolis, was a city of ancient Caria, in Anatolia. The city was situated between the Maeander and Orsinus rivers near their confluence. Though it was the site of a bridge over the Maeander, it had "little or no individual history". The scanty ruins are located on a hill (named, in Turkish, Yenişer) a few km southeast of Kuyucak, Aydın Province, Turkey, near the modern city of Başaran, or the village of Aliağaçiftliği. The city already existed when Antiochus I enlarged and renamed it. It was home to the sophist Diotrephes.
It has not been excavated, although Christopher Ratte and others visited the site in 1994 and produced a sketch plan.
The bishopric of Antioch on the Maeander was a suffragan of the metropolitan see of Stauropolis, capital of the Roman province of Caria. Its bishop Eusebius was at the First Council of Nicaea in 325, Dionysius at the Council of Chalcedon in 451, Georgius at the Trullan Council in 692, and Theophanes at the Photian Council of Constantinople (879). Menophanes was deposed in 518 for Monophysitism.
- Vicente de Paulo Araújo Matos (21 Apr 1955 Appointed - 28 Jan 1961)
- Félix Guiller (10 Apr 1961 Appointed - 10 Jun 1963)
- Edward Louis Fedders, (29 Oct 1963 Appointed - 11 Mar 1973)
- "The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites, AACHEN, see AQUAE GRANNI, ANTAS ("Metalla") Sardinia, Italy. ANTIOCH ON THE MAEANDER Turkey". www.perseus.tufts.edu. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- Talbert, Richard. [Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World], Princeton University Press, 2000, Map 65, H5 and Map-by-map Directory, p. 997]
- William Hazlit, The Classical Gazetteer (1851) Archived July 9, 2006, at the Wayback Machine
- Michel Lequien, Oriens christianus in quatuor Patriarchatus digestus, Paris 1740, Vol. I, coll. 907-908
- Vincenzo Ruggiari, A historical Addendum to the episcopal Lists of Caria, in Revue des études byzantines, Année 1996, Volume 54, Numéro 54, pp. 221–234 (in particular p. 233
- Annuario Pontificio 2013 (Libreria Editrice Vaticana 2013 ISBN 978-88-209-9070-1), p. 834