Traue at the 2013 San Diego Comic-Con International
Antje Traue (pronounced [ˈʔantjə ˈtʀaʊ̯ə]; born January 18, 1981) is a German actress. She speaks German and English fluently, and appeared in her first English-language role in the film Pandorum. She may be internationally best known for her portrayal of the villainous character of Faora in the 2013 Superman movie Man of Steel.
Life and career
Traue was born in Mittweida, Saxony, in the former German Democratic Republic (East Germany). Her mother was a dancer and musician. Traue was raised speaking Russian. She trained as a competitive gymnast from age six to her teens in an elite training unit. Her stage career began when she portrayed Jeanne d'Arc in a school play. At sixteen, she won the lead role in the International Munich Art Lab's first ever "Hip Hopera" (the musical "West End Opera").  Traue performed and toured with the production for four years, appearing on stages throughout Germany, Europe, and in New York City. Subsequently, Traue appeared in several films and television movies, such as Kleinruppin Forever, Berlin am Meer and Phantomschmerz.
In 2008, Traue was chosen for the lead female role in the film Pandorum, a science fiction/thriller film directed by Christian Alvart, written by Travis Milloy, and starring Dennis Quaid and Ben Foster.
In 2015, Traue portrayed Bony Lizzie in the Universal Pictures action-fantasy film Seventh Son. She received critical acclaim in Germany for portraying the fictional character of Giselle Neumayer in the 2016 ARD-produced TV movie Der Fall Barschel, and nominations as best actress in German TV productions for 2016 both for her female lead roles in the TV mini series "Weinberg" (TNT Productions) and "Berlin 1" (Sat 1). She has since been cast in several German and international movies and TV productions in lead roles or recurrent supporting roles, including the 2017 movie Bye Bye Germany alongside actor Moritz Bleibtreu directed by Sam Garbarski, and the 2017 Amazon series pilot episode Oasis. Traue's further acting appearances in 2017 and 2018 include the German Netflix series production Dark (as Agnes Nielsen), and German movies Das Ende der Wahrheit, Spielmacher and Ballon. In 2019, Traue leads the cast in the German ZDFneo TV mini series Dead End.
|2003||Die Nacht davor||Franziska Teenstätten||Short|
|2008||Berlin am Meer||Estelle|
|2009||Pandorum||Nadia||female lead role|
|2011||5 Days of War||Zoe|
|2013||Man of Steel||Faora||main role|
|2015||Seventh Son||Bony Lizzie|
|2015||Woman in Gold||Adele Bloch-Bauer|
|2016||Despite the Falling Snow||Marina|
|2016||Kundschafter des Friedens||Paula Kern||female lead role|
|2016||Vier gegen die Bank||Elisabeth Zollner||female lead role|
|2017||Bye Bye Germany||Special Agent Sara Simon||female lead role|
|2018||Das Ende der Wahrheit||Aurice Köhler||post production|
|2018||Spielmacher||Vera||female lead role / also co-producer|
|2018||Ballon||Ulrike Piehl||directed by Michael 'Bully' Herbig|
|2000||Verlorene Kinder||TV film|
|2007||SOKO Köln||Diana Wrobel||Episode: "Später Ruhm"|
|2009||Der Staatsanwalt||Sandra Thewes||Episode: "Schwesternliebe"|
|2012||Annika Bengtzon: Nobel's last will||Kitten||TV film|
|2015||Weinberg (The Valley)||Hannah Zepter||TV mini series / female lead role / German TV Awards Nomination 2016 : Best actress|
|2015||Mordkommission Berlin 1||Irma Berger||TV film / female lead role / German TV Awards Nomination 2016 : Best actress|
|2015||Der Fall Barschel||Giselle Neumayer||TV film / female lead role|
|2016||Berlin Station||'Joker' Lana Vogel||TV series (2 episodes)|
|2016||Close to the Enemy||Bergit Mentz||BBC TV series (3 episodes)|
|2016||Tempel||Eva||ZDFneo TV mini series / main role|
|2017||Oasis||Sara Keller||Amazon Pilot / female lead role|
|2017||Dark (Season 1)||Agnes Nielsen||German Netflix TV series (S1 episodes 8,9,10)|
|2019||Die Freundin meiner Mutter||Rosalie||NDR TV movie / comedy / lead role|
|2019||Dead End (CSI Mittenwalde)||Emma||ZDFneo TV mini series (6 episodes) / lead role|
|2019||Dark (Season 2)||Agnes Nielsen||German Netflix TV series / post production|
- "Biography". Spielkind Talent Agency. Archived from the original on 28 June 2009. Retrieved April 3, 2018.
- Sneider, Jeff (2013-04-27). "Antje Traue cast as female villain in Superman". Variety. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Strazza, Cecilia (22 Mar 2018). "The 10 best moments of the DC universe (in Italian). No 4: The Battle of Smallville. The Italian picture caption translated: 'Antje Traue was outstanding in the role of Faora in Man of Steel, and the battle between her and Superman in the streets of Smallville is among the best scenes of the movie.'". Cinefilos. Retrieved 2018-03-28.
- "'Man of Steel' flew in just in time for Antje Traue - Hero Complex – movies, comics, pop culture – Los Angeles Times". Hero Complex - movies, comics, pop culture - Los Angeles Times. 19 June 2013. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- "IMAL: WestEndOpera". International Munich Art Lab. Retrieved 2018-04-04.
- "WestEndOpera Scenecut". International Munich Art Lab (YouTube Video). Retrieved 2018-04-04.
- "WestEndOpera Preview. Rehearsal footage with short early interview of Antje Traue on her casting and training for WestEndOpera and her plans of becoming a professional actress (in German)". QUER BR [Bayrischer Rundfunk] (YouTube Video). Retrieved 2018-04-04.
- Schulte am Hülse, Jessica (2008-08-12). "Berlinerin sichert sich eine Hauptrolle in "Pandorum"" [Berliner secures a starring role in "Pandorum"]. Berliner Morgenpost (in German). Retrieved 2011-06-03. (subscription required)
- Miska, Brad (2008-08-12). " "Antje Traue - Seventh Son". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 2011-06-03. (subscription required)
- Seidel, Philipp. "Sportwetten-Drama: Gut gegen Boese, wie im Western. [Interview with Antje Traue on her new film 'Spielmacher.' In German]". Abendzeitung Muenchen. Retrieved 2018-04-12.