Antoine, Duke of Montpensier
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Duke of Montpensier|
|Predecessor||Prince Antoine Philippe d'Orléans|
|Successor||Prince Ferdinand d'Orléans|
31 July 1824|
Château de Neuilly, Neuilly-sur-Seine, France
5 February 1890 (aged 65)|
Palacio de Orléans-Borbón, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, Spain
8 February 1890|
Infantes Pantheon, Royal Monastery of San Lorenzo de El Escorial, Spain
|Spouse||Infanta Luisa Fernanda of Spain|
Marie Isabelle, Countess of Paris|
Princess Marie Christine
Mercedes, Queen of Spain
Infante Antonio, Duke of Galliera
|Father||Louis-Philippe of France|
|Mother||Maria Amalia of Naples and Sicily|
Antoine d'Orléans (Antoine Marie Philippe Louis d'Orléans; 31 July 1824 – 5 February 1890) was a member of the French royal family in the House of Orléans. He was the youngest son of King Louis Philippe of France and his wife Maria Amelia Teresa of the Two Sicilies. He was styled as the Duke of Montpensier. He was born on 31 July 1824 at the château de Neuilly and died 4 February 1890 at Sanlúcar de Barrameda, Spain.
Marriage and issue
They had ten children:
- Maria Isabel (1848–1919), who married her first cousin Philippe, comte de Paris (1838–94), the French claimant, and became known as Marie Isabelle, comtesse de Paris. She had several children.
- Maria Amelia (1851–1870)
- Maria Cristina (1852–1879)
- Maria de la Regla (1856–1861)
- [?] (1857-1857)
- Fernando (1859–1873)
- Mercedes (1860–1878), otherwise Princess Marie des Graces d'Orleans-Montpensier, who married her first cousin Alfonso XII and is historically known as Mercedes of Orleans, queen of Spain. No children.
- Felipe Raimundo Maria (1862–1864)
- Antonio (1866–1930), became Duke of Galliera in Italy. He married his first cousin Infanta Eulalia of Spain (1864–1958), daughter of Isabella II, and had two sons.
- Luis Maria Felipe Antonio (1867–1874)
Candidate for the Spanish throne
Antoine de Montpensier lived in Spain from 1848 when he and his family had to leave France after the Revolution of 1848. During the Spanish revolution of 1868, he supported the insurgents under Juan Prim against Queen Isabel II, his own sister-in-law.
On 16 November 1870 the Cortes voted for the next king and chose Amadeo of Savoy with 191 votes. Antoine only received 27 votes, and left Spain, only to return in 1874. His ambitions were fulfilled by his daughter Mercedes, who became Queen of Spain after her marriage to Alfonso XII, son of Isabella II.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
|Royal styles of|
HRH The Duke of Montpensier
|Reference style||His Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
Titles and styles
- 31 July 1824 – 21 September 1824: His Serene Highness Prince Antoine d'Orléans
- 21 September 1824 – 9 August 1830: His Royal Highness Prince Antoine d'Orléans
- 9 August 1830 – 16 August 1830: His Royal Highness The Prince Antoine
- 16 August 1830 – 5 February 1890: His Royal Highness The Duke of Montpensier
- 10 October 1846 – 10 October 1859: His Royal Highness The Duke of Montpensier
- 10 October 1859 – 5 February 1890: His Royal Highness Infante Don Antonio, Duke of Montpensier
The Duke's complete style in Spain, after his rise to the rank of Infante, was: Su Alteza Real el Serenísmo y Egregio Señor Infante Don Antonio María de Orleans, Duque de Montpensier (in English: His Royal Highness the Most Serene and Notable Prince Lord Antonio María d'Orléans, Duke of Montpensier).
- : Grand Cordon in the Order of Leopold, in 1844.
- : Knight Grand Cross of the National Order of the Légion d'Honneur
- : Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Tower and Sword
Prince Antoine did not have a personal coat of arms. He used the traditional arms of the House of Orléans, consisting of:
Azure, three fleur-de-lis Or and a label Argent
This coat of arms was first used by Philippe d'Orléans, nephew and son in law of King Louis XIV of France. As cadets of the French royal family, they bore the arms of France differenced by a label argent.
- Le Figaro (6 February 1890) : http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k2810289.item
- Almanach royal officiel, publié, exécution d'un arrête du roi, Volume 1: Tarlier, 1854, p. 37
Antoine, Duke of Montpensier
Cadet branch of the House of BourbonBorn: 31 July 1824 Died: 4 February 1890
Title last held byPrince Antoine Philippe d'Orléans
| Duke of Montpensier
16 August 1830 – 4 July 1890
Prince Ferdinand d'Orléans
Title last held byMaria Brignole-Sale
| Duke of Galliera
9 December 1888 – 4 July 1890