This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Antoine Marcel Toupin|
|Born||28 June 1981|
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
|Genres||Alternative, electronic, dance, house, synthpop, new wave|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, DJ, composer, singer, songwriter, producer, ex child actor|
|Years active||1999 - present|
|Labels||Vandit, System, Mute, Ultra, Transmission, Mad Decent, Radikal|
|Associated acts||Second Sun, CB7, Shannon Leto & Antoine Becks|
Becks was born in Montreal, but lived in New York City in the first four years of his life. He is French Canadian on his father's side and American on his mother's side. His parents are both artists, which is why they've supported his desire to be a musician since the beginning. In an interview during one of his visits to Kiev he told the story of, "When I was 5 years old, I was obsessed with The Beatles. I made myself a cardboard guitar, sat everyone around and pretended that I was one of The Beatles. I had my first real guitar at the age of 7. I sang and played, and I never stopped",. At 8 years old, besides the guitar, he already played bass, drums and the piano.
As a teenager, Becksne played in many garage bands but he left them eventually. Being a fan of raves, he used things like Nintendo gloves and pants from the bubble polyethylen, and went to the clubs, whose music he always felt in his heart.
At 12 years old Becks started on a Canadian TV series called Le Retour and a teen drama called ZAP and a cameo appearance in the Canadian court show Les grands procès. At the age of 20 after he got his first record deal with Vandit records, Antoine gave up acting to focus on his electronic live act Second Sun.
In early 2000, Becks met Adam White, who worked at a music store at the time. "I came in the store to buy something and it all ended up with me asking Adam to join me", he recalls. They later became known as Second Sun.
Antoine was new to producing electronic dance music so it was a learning process, but after six months of trying to create his first track, Antoine gave a CD to Paul Van Dyk, asking him what he thought about it. A week later, Paul offered to sign Second Sun to Vandit Records and they took the chance. From then on, the requests for Second Sun shows went off the scale.
Their debut album Inside Out was expected to be trance, but the duet surprised everyone with a variety of sounds and acoustic instruments. "We love the airy feeling of trance music, but at the same time we wanted to be more varied and incorporate proper songs, not just dancefloor bangers. At the time it was rare to hear a rock-driven male vocal on a dance track", said Antoine, and it was ultimately reflected in their single "Doing It Well" with Paul Harris of Dirty Vegas. Second Sun also collaborated with Paul Van Dyk on the hit single "Crush", which was on Paul Van Dyk's Grammy-nominated album Reflections. Second Sun also collaborated with Grammy-winner Cedric Gervais on a number of house singles (including a remix of Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust" (appearing as "The Miami Project") and Antoine's voice was featured on Sharam's hit single "P.A.T.T. (Party All The Time)".
Labels releasing this music were Ultra Records, System Recordings, Ministry Of Sound, Positiva/EMI, Universal and Mute. In late 2010, Antoine posted on his official Facebook that Second Sun would no longer be making music due to wanting to pursue his upcoming band, CB7.
Official group members
- Antoine Becks – vocals, production, synths
- Adam White - production, synths
Albums: Inside Out - 19 April 2005
- 1 Inside Out
- 2 Rock The West Side
- 3 Pop Muzik (Second Sun Remix)
- 4 My Bed Is Burning
- 5 Everything
- 6 The Spell
- 7 Playground
- 8 Crush
- 9 Love Simulator
- 10 He Said She Said (duet w/Tiffany)
Uncovered EP - 21 February 2006
- 1 Staring At The Sun
- 2 The Spell (Radio Mix)
- 3 Pop Muzik (Radio Mix)
- 4 Dawn
- 5 Wildlife
- 6 He Said She Said (Radio Version)
- 7 Dream On
The lost weekend - 31 August 2010 Tracks:
- 1 Intro
- 2 A Girl Like You
- 3 Golden
- 4 We Own The Night(Radio mix)
- 5 Howl At The Moon
- 6 Fire & Water
- 7 Lonely After All
- 8 More Pills
- 9 Doing It Well
- 10 Disconnected
- 11 Halfway Love
- 12 Savior
- 13 Slaves Of The Sun
Sun king EP - 22 March 2011 Tracks:
- 1 It's About To Go Down
- 2 Sun King
- 3 The Message
- 4 Sona
- 5 The Lost Weekend
- 6 Sun King (Extended Mix)
- Crush - Paul Van Dyke Ft. Second Sun
- Ready or Not - Cedric Gervais Ft. Second Sun
- Love is the answer - Mya Ft. Cedric Gervais and Second Sun
- Pills - Cedric Gervais Ft. Second Sun
- Party all the time - Sharam Ft. Second Sun
- Doing it well - EC Twins Ft. Second Sun
- The Spell
- We own the night
- Fire and water
In spring 2010, Shannon mentioned CB7 for the first time in an interview:
Finally, I can share it with all of you. This is what I've been working at for several years... It's CB7.
Together with his cousin and drummer Matt Becks, bass player Noah Luger and guitarist Adam White, who was also a member of Second Sun, the band released four demo-tracks and toured as the opening band for Thirty Seconds to Mars in the North American leg of their "Closer to the Edge" tour.
In January 2011, Becks announced that the current group members were his cousin Matt and himself. Later Chelsea Davis, Frankie Sizr and Jamie Reed joined the group, after meeting them in L.A. and Montreal through friends, as live members. Chelsea has her own band called Annabelle vs the Villain and Jamie is a friend of Jared Leto, Shannon's younger brother and singer of Thirty Seconds to Mars. After Shannon and Antoine broke up their live act, Shannon said via Twitter he will no longer manage CB7. On March 15, 2014 Antoine stated he will no longer pursue working on CB7 due to him working on his own solo music.
Former group members
- Antoine Becks - production, vocals, guitar, keyboards, songwriting (2010–2014)
- Chelsea Davis - bass guitar, keyboard, drums (2011-2012)
- Frankie Sizr - guitar (2011-2012)
- Matt Becks - drums (2010-2012)
- Adam White - guitar, keyboard (2010-2011)
- Noah Luger - bass guitar (2010-2011)
- Pretend for the weekend
- Going nowhere
- True for a wild fate
- Union Square
Shannon Leto & Antoine Becks
The duo Shannon Leto & Antoine Becks was created in 2011, originally as an after-party for a Thirty Seconds to Mars project. However it charmed the world's dance stages, and the duo became independent and toured all over the world.
According to Shannon and Antoine, their project is "when two artists get together to wreak havoc in the night clubs all over the world".
In summer 2012 the official website, YouTube and Twitter were removed; this led the fans of the group to believe they broke up.
Official project members
- Antoine Becks - DJ, production
- Shannon Leto - percussion
DJ Antoine Becks
Besides being a member of Second Sun, Antoine was playing in the clubs all over the world on his own. Presently, Antoine recorded the single "Life of the Wild", which was released January 28, 2013. and on iTunes 17 February 2013.
Just a week after the release, "Life of the Wild" took the 22nd place in the dance chart on TwitMusic. He also had a release on Diplo's label Mad Decent.
- Welcome to 2012 Mix
- Summer 2012 Mix
- Exclusive Twitmusic Mix
- Life Of The Wild
- This Is Our Time (Official Summerland Anthem)
- Insane (feat. Moska)
• Higher (with Maestro Harrell feat. Sherry St-Germain)
Antoine Becks' music has also appeared in movies and TV commercials such as Michael Bay's blockbuster "Pain And Gain", and ads for Coca-Cola and the NHL Network. In 2016, he co-produced the David Guetta & Cedric Gervais feat. Chris Willis collaboration "Would I Lie To You". Other co-productions with Cedric Gervais include a collaboration with Grammy-winning Latin Rock artist Juanes for "Este Amor", a remix of Odesza's "Say My Name", which got 13 Million Spotify plays since its release and a remix of Clean Bandit's "Tears". Along with doing more production for TV and film, Antoine Becks is now developing his new project under the name Vesper.
- The first of Antoine's tattoos was a Fleur-de-Lis, as a reminder of his Québécois (Quebecer) background (fleur-de-Lys is the emblem of Quebec flag).
- One of his tattoos Antoine has called "Nouvelle Vague", and it is dedicated to the French movies of the 1960s, which changed his life.
- Antoine has a 1964 acoustic guitar which belonged to his father, actor Robert Toupin. He used it to record the song "Union Square" for CB7.
- Antoine was named in honor of Antoine Doinel, the young character in "400 Blows" and many more movies by French director François Truffaut.
- Antoine hates bananas.
- He has a scar under his right eye from playing soccer.
- "CB7 Interview - Girls of Chaos". Archive.is. 11 April 2013. Archived from the original on 11 April 2013. Retrieved 1 April 2019.
- "music.com.ua - Antoine BECKS: 'Танцевальная музыка - это как секс'". music.com.ua. Retrieved 1 April 2019.
- TalkToMeProject (7 May 2012). "Shannon Leto & Antoine Becks interview (Talk To Me. 1.)". Retrieved 1 April 2019 – via YouTube.
- "Second Sun: Interview/Recap". Vimeo.com. Retrieved 1 April 2019.
- Interview for Rolling Stone Russia
- "Les grands procès". DailyMotion.com. Retrieved 1 April 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 28 February 2014. Retrieved 28 February 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 6 April 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link).Antoine Becks Rocks Loss Angeless
- music, Bill Lamb Bill Lamb is a; Entertainment, Arts Writer with Two Decades of Experience Covering the World of; culture. "The Top 10 Greatest Tony Bennett Songs of All Time". ThoughtCo. Retrieved 1 April 2019.
- Sofi Tronza (17 November 2011). "Shannon Leto & Antoine Becks Interview for Bacardi Russia". Retrieved 1 April 2019 – via YouTube.
- PlanetVerge (25 April 2010). "On the Verge featuring Thirty Seconds to Mars". Retrieved 1 April 2019 – via YouTube.
- echoskyhorse (3 December 2010). "CB7 Moscow Club @ Boardners - Interview with Antoine Becks 12/01/10 Los Angeles". Retrieved 1 April 2019 – via YouTube.
- "Шеннон Лето: Мои собственные проекты не мешают "30 Seconds to Mars"". 24 Канал. Retrieved 1 April 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 23 February 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-20.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link).Life of the Wild by Antoine Becks on Beatport
- "Life of the Wild - Single by Antoine Becks". Retrieved 1 April 2019 – via itunes.apple.com.
- [permanent dead link]."Life of the Wild" is #22 on the Twitmusic dance charts!
- .Fun facts by Antoine