25 November 1948|
|Died||1 October 2018(aged 69)|
Antoine Sfeir (25 November 1948 – 1 October 2018) was a Franco-Lebanese journalist.
Sfeir was the editor of the French journal Les Cahiers de l'Orient (Notebooks from the East), a quarterly publication devoted to the Arab and Muslim world, and the president of the CERPO (Study and Research Center on the Middle East). A former professor of international relations at the CELSA (Paris-Sorbonne University) school, he was also president of the ILERI international relations school (Institut Libre d'Etude des Relations Internationales).
A recognized expert on Islam, Sfeir warned against the dangers of radicalism as soon as in the 2000s : "...foreign imams often found an all too willing audience in France's rundown immigrant suburbs. The kids there already watch Arab stations on satellite TV, with their bloodthirsty slogans and anti-western propaganda. They've already been totally radicalized."
Sfeir wrote numerous books about Islam and the Middle East; one of which was the Columbia World Dictionary of Islamism, translated by John King (Columbia University Press). He was often interviewed about international affairs on television talkshows, newspapers, and Administration commissions.
In his book Tunisie, terre de paradoxes published in 2006, he was accused of supporting the regime of Ben Ali in particular by denying its police and authoritarian character. Sfeir replied that he always considered "the Tunisian people as an example for the whole region" in terms of education, modernization and regional integration, as well as in the fight against religious fundamentalism". But in February 2011, Sfeir admitted that he was "heavily mistaken" on Tunisia and the Ben Ali regime.
- Nomination à l'ILERI : Antoine SFEIR, nouveau Président
- Last published : Islam against Islam, the endless war between the Sunnites and the Shiites, Grasset, 2012
- "France to train imams in 'French Islam'", The Guardian, 23 April 2004
- Antoine Sfeir Amazon page
- Antoine Sfeir Good reads page
- Columbia World Dictionary of Islamism
- Antoine Sfeir Imdb page
- "As Europe watches Arab unrest, fears over oil, migration shade its response", The Christian Science Monitor, 22 February 2011
- L'Islam en France, French Senate, You Tube, 3 February 2016
- Tunisie, terre de paradoxes
- Blog The Arabist
- "La Tunisie, rempart contre la déferlante intégriste dans la région", Antoine Sfeir, Le Figaro, 26 octobre 2009, l. 39 and 43.
- Auteur d'une apologie de Ben Ali, Antoine Sfeir fait son mea culpa, L'Obs, 18 February 2011.
- "Légion d'honneur : promotion du 14 juillet (II)". FIGARO (in French). 15 July 2009. Retrieved 1 October 2018.
- Antoine Sfeir, politologue spécialisé dans le monde arabe et musulman, est mort