November 25, 1948|
|Nationality||France / Lebanon|
He is the editor of the French journal Les Cahiers de l'Orient (Notebooks from the East), a quarterly devoted to the Arab and Muslim world, and the president of the CERPO (Study and Research Center on the Middle East). A former professor of international relations at the CELSA (Paris-Sorbonne University) school, he is now president of the ILERI international relations school (Institut Libre d'Etude des Relations Internationales).
A recognized expert on Islam, Sfeir has been warning against the dangers of radicalism as soon as in the 2000's : "...foreign imams often found an all too willing audience in France's rundown immigrant suburbs. The kids there already watch Arab stations on satellite TV, with their bloodthirsty slogans and anti-western propaganda. They've already been totally radicalized."
Sfeir wrote numerous books about Islam and the Middle East;, one of which is the Columbia World Dictionary of Islamism, translated by John King (Columbia University Press). He is also often interviewed about international affairs in television talkshows, newspapers, and Administration commissions.
In his book "Tunisie, terre de paradoxes" published in 2006 he was accused of supporting the regime of Ben Ali in particular by denying its police and authoritarian character. Sfeir replied that he always considered "the Tunisian people as an example for the whole region" in terms of education, modernization and regional integration, as well as in the fight against religious fundamentalism"
- Nomination à l'ILERI : Antoine SFEIR, nouveau Président
- Last published : Islam against Islam, the endless war between the Sunnites and the Shiites, Grasset, 2012
- "France to train imams in 'French Islam'", The Guardian, 23 April 2004
- Antoine Sfeir Amazon page
- Antoine Sfeir Good reads page
- Antoine Sfeir Imdb page
- "As Europe watches Arab unrest, fears over oil, migration shade its response", The Christian Science Monitor, February 22, 2011
- L'Islam en France, French Senate, You Tube, February 3, 2016
- Blog The Arabist
- "La Tunisie, rempart contre la déferlante intégriste dans la région", Antoine Sfeir, Le Figaro, 26 octobre 2009, l. 39 and 43.