Portrait of Sir Anton Dolin by Allan Warren
|Born||27 July 1904
Slinfold, West Sussex, England
|Died||25 November 1983(aged 79)|
|Occupation||ballet dancer and choreographer|
Sir Anton Dolin (27 July 1904 – 25 November 1983) was an English ballet dancer and choreographer.
Dolin was born in Slinfold in Sussex as Sydney Francis Patrick Chippendall Healey-Kay but was generally known as Patrick Kay. He trained at Serafina Astafieva's school at The Pheasantry in London's King's Road. He joined Sergei Diaghilev's Ballets Russes in 1921, was a principal there from 1924, and was a principal with the Vic-Wells Ballet in the 1930s. There he danced with Alicia Markova, with whom he went on to found the Markova-Dolin Ballet and the London Festival Ballet.
Dolin wrote several books, including the autobiography Ballet Go Round (1938) and Alicia Markova: Her Life and Art (1953). He was knighted in 1981. He is featured in the documentary film A Portrait of Giselle.
- W. J. McCormack (1999). The Blackwell Companion to Modern Irish Culture. Blackwell Publishing. p. 172. Retrieved 20 February 2008.
- Decharne, Max. (2005) King's Road: The Rise and Fall of the Hippest Street in the World. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, p. 23. ISBN 0297847694
- "Choreographers: Anton Dolin". American Ballet Theatre. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- Dolin, Anton (1953). Alicia Markova: her life and art. New York: Hermitage House. OCLC 300631658.
- Dolin, Anton (1960). Anton Dolin: autobiography. London: Oldbourne. OCLC 220952622.
- Dolin, Anton (1985). Last words: a final autobiography. London: Century. ISBN 9780712607292.
- Dolin, Anton (1953). Markova: her life and art. London: W.H. Allen. OCLC 3290257.
- Hall, Alfred George, ed. (1957). Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin: a legend of British ballet : a collection of portraits. London: Hall Publications. OCLC 7643659.
- Simpson, Jane (30 September 1997). "Legends: Anton Dolin". Balletco Magazine.
- The Anton Dolin Cuttings Books are held by the Victoria and Albert Museum Theatre and Performance Department.
- Anton Dolin's appearance on This Is Your Life
|This article about someone associated with the art of ballet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|