|Residence||New York, New York|
|Alma mater||University of Virginia (B.S.C.), Columbia University (M.B.A.)|
|Occupation||Managing Director and Head of Internet & Technology Sector at General Atlantic|
Anton Levy (born October 18, 1974) is an American businessman. He is a Managing Director and head of the Global Internet and Technology sector at General Atlantic, a private equity firm based in New York City, where he has worked since 1998. In 2017, Forbes ranked Levy #26 on The Midas List.
Career and education
Anton Levy earned a Bachelor of Science in Commerce with degrees in Finance and Computer Science from the University of Virginia, and a Master of Business Administration from Columbia University. Levy graduated from both with highest honors.
In 1998 Levy joined growth equity firm General Atlantic, with a focus on internet and technology companies. Levy was promoted to Managing Director in 2006 and today oversees the firm’s global Internet & Technology sector. He also serves on the firm’s Investment and Executive Committees, co-chairs it's Human Resources Committee, and chairs the Emerging Growth Investment Committee. Levy has been instrumental in a number of General Atlantic’s internet & technology investments, including Alibaba in 2009, Red Ventures in 2010, Facebook in 2011, Vox Media in 2014, and Airbnb in 2015.
In 2009, Levy led an investment in Chinese ecommerce site, Alibaba. The company’s founder Jack Ma was seeking growth guidance from an experienced firm, and the General Atlantic team saw the potential for growth in the Chinese ecommerce industry. Alibaba went public on the New York Stock Exchange with one of the largest initial public offerings ever at $90 a share, delivering an 18x return for General Atlantic. This was one of General Atlantic's most successful investments in its 35-year history.
Forbes Midas List
Levy appeared at #31 on the Forbes Midas List, a ranking of the top technology investors, in 2019. Levy was also named to the Midas List in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. His appearances on the list were attributed to investments in Alibaba in 2014 and Uber, Airbnb, Vox, and Buzzfeed.
Philanthropy and community involvement
Levy is Chairman of Streetwise Partners, a nonprofit organization in New York City and Washington, D.C., that helps low-income individuals gain employment and develop careers. He also serves on the boards of University of Virginia’s endowment, UVIMCO (University of Virginia Investment Management Company) and WNYC, New York’s public radio station. Levy was awarded the Alan C. Greenberg Young Leadership Award at the UJA-Federation of New York Wall Street Dinner on December 10, 2018.
Corporate board memberships
- "Anton Levy - Forbes Midas List".
- "Anton Levy - Bloomberg". Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "General Atlantic Announces Promotions to Managing Director and Principal". PRNewswire. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "Company Bio - General Atlantic".
- "Airbnb Raises $1.5 Billion in One of Largest Private Placements". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- De La Merced, Michael J. "Silver Lake Makes Big Bet on Red Ventures, a Digital Marketing Company". NYTimes. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- Yakowicz, Will. "Vox Media Valued at $380 Million and Snags More Funding". Inc. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- Kaufman, Leslie. "Vox Media Valued at Nearly $400 Million After Investment". Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- De La Merced, Michael J. "Silver Lake Reaps a Golden Return on Its Alibaba Stake After the I.P.O." NYTimes. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "General Atlantic: Why We Backed Alibaba". PrivCap. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "Streetwise Partners profile - Anton Levy". Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "UVIMCO board profile - Anton Levy". Retrieved December 18, 2018.
- "WNYC board profile - Anton Levy". Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- Gordon, Amanda (December 11, 2018). "David Solomon Leads $31 Million Night for UJA Wall Street". Bloomberg.
- "ANTON LEVY". General Atlantic. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- StreetWise Partners website (board member page)
- Vox Media Valued at Nearly $400 Million After Investment. November, 2014, New York Times article about Vox Media investment
- 5 Questions for Anton Levy. February, 2007, PE Hub interview with Levy
- Collision Conference (Collision Blog page).
- Privcap Interview - Privcap.com