This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
26 November 1921|
|Died||16 July 1975
|Years of service||1939–45|
|Commands held||3./JG 52|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Anton Resch (26 November 1921 – 16 July 1975) was a former Luftwaffe fighter ace and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross during World War II. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Anton Resch was credited with 91 victories.
He gained his first Soviet victory Il-2 Sturmovik over the Eastern Front on 21 October 1943. On 27 January 1944 he was seriously wounded by Russian fighters, but returned to duty in June of that same year. On 26 August he recorded seven Soviet victories and other seven on 31 August 1944. On 10 September 1944 was again wounded by Slovak insurgency flak. After the war Resch was handed over to Soviets and spent many years in Soviet captivity. Anton Resch was credited with 91 victories, 64 of them over the Eastern Front, including 24 Il-2 Sturmoviks and other 27 victories over the Western Front.
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Wound Badge in Black
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe in Gold
- German Cross in Gold on 1 January 1945 as Leutnant in the 3./Jagdgeschwader 52
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 7 April 1945 as Oberleutnant and Staffelkapitän of the 3./Jagdgeschwader 52
- Patzwall & Scherzer 2001, p. 374.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 624.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 355.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) . Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Obermaier, Ernst (1989). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe Jagdflieger 1939 – 1945 [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Luftwaffe Fighter Force 1939 – 1945] (in German). Mainz, Germany: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann. ISBN 978-3-87341-065-7.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 978-3-931533-45-8.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Militaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.