Fargas in 2012
|Born||Antonio Juan Fargas
August 14, 1946
New York City, New York, U.S.
Fargas was born in New York City to Mildred (née Bailey) and Manuel Fargas; he was one of eleven children. His father was a Puerto Rican who worked for the City of New York. His mother was from Trinidad and Tobago.
His breakout role began in the late 1960s comedy, Putney Swope, today a cult film. After starring in a string of blaxploitation movies in the early 1970s, such as his role as Link Brown in the movie Foxy Brown and in Across 110th Street, he gained recognition as streetwise informant "Huggy Bear" in the mid-1970s television series Starsky & Hutch.
As a nod to his early roles, he had a part in the 1988 blaxploitation spoof I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, as well as another Wayans brothers "hood" parody, Don't Be a Menace, in 1996. He guest starred in the mid-1990s sitcoms Living Single, Martin, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and The Steve Harvey Show.
Some notable appearances on British television shows include participating in series 4 of the reality series I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! in 2004 and an appearance on Frank Sidebottom's Proper Telly Show in early 2006.
He played the part of Toledo in a revival of August Wilson's Ma Rainey's Black Bottom at the Royal Exchange Theatre, Manchester in 2006. He had a regular role as "Doc" on the 2005-2009 television series Everybody Hates Chris.
In 2008 Fargas acted in the British boxing film Sucker Punch.
Fargas appeared on an episode of Fox's Lie to Me as the father of a murdered firefighter.
Fargas's son Justin Fargas, a University of Southern California alumnus, was the starting running back for the NFL team the Oakland Raiders. Fargas's daughter-in-law is LSU women's basketball coach Nikki Caldwell.
In popular culture
- Putney Swope (1969)
- Pound (1970)
- Shaft (1971)
- Cisco Pike (1972)
- Across 110th Street (1972)
- Cleopatra Jones (1973)
- Busting (1974)
- Conrack (1974)
- Foxy Brown (1974)
- The Gambler (1974)
- Cornbread, Earl and Me (1975)
- Next Stop, Greenwich Village (1976)
- Car Wash (1976)
- Pretty Baby (1978)
- Up the Academy (1980)
- Firestarter (1984)
- Crimewave (1985)
- Night of the Sharks (1988)
- Shakedown (1988)
- I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (1988)
- The Borrower (1991)
- Howling VI: The Freaks (1991)
- Whore (1991)
- Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood (1996)
- The Suburbans (1999)
- 3 Strikes (2000)
- Fist of the Warrior (2007)
- Sucker Punch (2008)
- Silver Bells (2013)
- Beyond Skyline (TBA)
- "Antonio Fargas Biography". Film Reference. 2008. Retrieved January 19, 2017.
- "Antonio Fargas Interview". Memorable TV. 2008. Archived from the original on July 21, 2008. Retrieved January 19, 2017.
- Rabalais, Scott (September 7, 2014). "LSU's Nikki Caldwell makes it official with longtime fiancé Justin Fargas". The Advocate.