Antônio Ferreira Cesarino Júnior
||This biographical article is written like a résumé. (March 2009)|
He was the precursor of the labor law in Brazil, with the publication of the first books on the subject: Brazilian Social Law (1940) and Labor Law Procedure (1942). He was an innovator in legal education, setting up courses on labour law, as well as demanding and orientating his students to do internships in trade unions, in regional work inspection stations, in the National Institute of Social Insurance (Brazil) or in human resources departments of private and public companies. He also stimulated his students to write monographs on theoretical and legal topics for magazines, periodicals and other publications, under their own names or as collaborators.
He founded the Brazilian Partido Democrata Cristão (Christian Democrat Party) in July 1945. Later he abandoned this idea and regretted his involvement in politics. He established in São Paulo, in 1954, the first World Congress of Labour Law (ILO). As the first professor of Labour Law in Brazil, he was inherently the founder of the Social Law (today's Labour Law) Department at the University of São Paulo in 1938.
He trained Brazil's first generations of labor lawyers and judges and was the author of several books and countless articles on labour law and occupational health in Brazilian and foreign magazines.
- Bachelor of Science and Letters (Colégio Culto à Ciência, Campinas, 1923)
- Bachelor of Law (Law school of the University of São Paulo - USP, 1928)
- Doctor of Law (Law school of the University of São Paulo, 1938)
- Bachelor and Doctor of Medicine (Medical School of São Paulo - University of São Paulo, 1952)
- Doctor of Economics (College of Economic Sciences of the University of São Paulo, 1960)
- Sanitary Physician (College of Sanitary and Hygienic Medicine of USP, 1965).
Cesarino was firstly a teacher in state high schools (Campinas, 1929, São Paulo, 1934) before becoming a professor in the Faculty of Law of the University of São Paulo (1938). This was the first chair of Social Legislation or Labour Law in the country.
He went on to hold many awards and honorary positions in Brazil and all over the world:
- Emeritus professor of the Faculty of Law of the University of São Paulo(Full Professor 1938, Emeritus 1978).
- Full Professor of the Faculty of Economics of the (University of São Paulo) (Professor 1948, Full Professor 1960).
- Full professor of the Faculty of Medicine of the Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo (Sorocaba, 1962).
- Visiting professor at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, United States (1953).
- Honorary professor of the Central University of Venezuela (1955).
- Member of the first International Congress of Labor Law in Brazil, held at São Paulo in 1954.
- Honorary member of the Society of Occupational Medicine (Strasbourg, 1954).
- President of the Society of Social and Labour Medicine (São Paulo, 1955).
- Cofounder and president of the National Academy of Legal Letters, Brazil.
- Honorary and effective President of the Société Internationale de Droit du Travail et de la Sécurité Sociale - Switzerland (Geneva, 1958 and 1982).
- Public Health doctor (College of Hygiene and Health of USP, 1965).
- Co-Founder and First President of the National Association of Labour Medicine ANAMT - Brazil (São Paulo, 1968). Later he was a Honorary member of the ANAMT (São Paulo, 1977)
- Member of the Commission of Experts of the International Labour Organization (Geneva, 1976).
- President of Honor of the National Academy of Labour Law - Brazil (1978).
- Honorary President of the Institute of Social Law, today's Institute Cesarino Junior - São Paulo.
- Member of the Order of the Judiciary Merit of the Work - Brazil (Brasília, 1977)
- Member of the Order of Francisco Miranda - Venezuela (Caracas, 1978)
- Medals of the Order of the Social Merit (1963) for the Institute of Social Right and Medal Jorge Duprat Figueiredo (1988) for the FUNDACENTRO, Brazil.
- Member of the Brazilian Medical Association (AMB), the Paulista Medical Association (APM) and the Academy of Medicine (São Paulo)
- President of the Department of Labour Medicine of the Paulista Medical Association (APM), São Paulo - Brazil.
- Member of the Self-Regulating Body of the Medicine Profession of São Paulo (CREMESP)
- Former President of the São Paulo's Academy of Law and the Institute of Social Law - Brazil.
- Direito Social Brasileiro (Brazilian Social Law) (1940)
- Direito Processual do Trabalho (Procedural Labor Law) (1942)