Kaufusi in 2007
|Nickname||Fusi, Big Mama's House, Foose|
27 November 1984 |
|Height||190 cm (6 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||112 kg (17 st 9 lb)|
|As of 18 September 2014
Antonio Kaufusi (born 27 November 1984 in Tonga) is a Tongan former professional rugby league footballer. An Australian and Tongan international and Queensland State of Origin representative prop, he played for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, Melbourne Storm, North Queensland Cowboys and Newcastle Knights in the National Rugby League, and the London Broncos, Huddersfield Giants and Bradford Bulls in the Super League.
Kaufusi made his first-grade debut against the Bulldogs in 2003.
In 2009, the North Queensland Cowboys signed Kaufusi on a large contract. His stint with the Cowboys was short though, being released a year later.
On the 25th of June 2010, Kaufusi was released from his contract with the North Queensland Cowboys to join the Newcastle Knights for the rest of 2010 and a further 2 years. He made a winning debut for the Knights in Round 18 against the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks.
On the 18th of August 2011, Kaufusi signed a 3-year deal with London Broncos in the European Super League after 2012 Knights coach Wayne Bennett released him from his contract a year early. He is extremely popular with the fans at The Stoop, where he won Player of the Month for February.
(For 2014 Super League season highlights, stats and results click on 2014 Super League season results)
In 2006 Kaufusi was called up to the Australian tri-nations squad after Reni Maitua received an ankle injury in the first test against New Zealand.
- Junior Club: Brothers (Bundaberg)
- First XV Undefeated Premiership: Nudgee College (Brisbane) 2002
- First Grade Debut: Round 22, Melbourne v Bulldogs at Sydney Showground, August 10, 2003
- State of Origin Debut: Game One, Series 2007 for Queensland
- Rugby League Project
- NRL Stats[permanent dead link]
- Dave Donaghy (21 August 2008). "Melbourne Storm prop Antonio Kaufusi heads for North Queensland". The Herald Sun. Retrieved 24 March 2009.
- Dave Donaghy (4 October 2007). "Antonio Kaufusi trains to ease Grand Final pain". The Herald Sun. Retrieved 24 March 2009.
- "Grand final: As it happened". Fox Sports. 2008-10-05. Retrieved 2008-10-05.
- Proszenko, Adrian (20 June 2010). "Knights ride to the rescue of Kaufusi". The Sydney Morning Herald.
- "Harlequins sign Australian pair". BBC News. 18 August 2011.
- "Samoa, Tonga and Fiji name squads". BBC. 2008-10-08. Archived from the original on 13 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-09.