This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||Antonio David Lyons
December 20, 1971
|Occupation||Actor, poet, musician, social activist|
Antonio David Lyons is an American actor, musician, poet and social activist, popular for his roles as Lawrence in American History X and as Thomas Mirama in Hotel Rwanda, starring alongside Don Cheadle, Sophie Okonedo and Hakeem Kae-Kazim. He is also well known in South Africa, where he has made his home since 2003.
In 2003 Lyons relocated to Johannesburg, South Africa were he quickly became a familiar face on South African television screens with a memorable role on the South African soap opera Generations. However it was Lyons's humble beginnings in the United States, with a notable performance in an episode of Fox's New York Undercover entitled "Toy Soldiers", that set the tone for the successes that followed. Since his early beginnings he has grown into a global brand.
His career continues to evolve with the added dimension of poetic house artist and lyricist. His signature voice and words are featured on the introduction to “Total Bliss” with Azania on Metro FM (9 am–12 pm daily). In 2007 he released his first solo project “Human Jewels”. In March 2011 his sophomore project, “We Dance We Pray”, was released.
He is also the founder of We Are Here, a social sculpture project that seeks to foster an environment where the arts can impact social conditions, attitudes, perceptions and structures. The campaign was founded in Johannesburg, South Africa, in 2010. It utilizes discoursive play to engage men and boys in themes of gender violence, identity, relationships and HIV/AIDS. The goal of the campaign is to provide a nurturing environment where men and boys can discover, develop and share tools that will help grow themselves and their communities. This project prompted Lyons to pursue graduate school in New York where he earned an MA in Applied Theatre from the City University of New York (CUNY).
Workshop/Performances of We Are Here have been presented at:
- 2015 New Masculinities Festival (New York)
- 2015 MPAACT Theatre (Chicago);dir. Daniel Bryant
- 2015 Scholars in Residence at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor -
- 2014 The Soweto Theatre (Johannesburg,SA)
- 2014 National Black Theatre (New York);dir. Rodney Gardiner
- 2014 University of the Witwatersrand/Drama For Life(Johannesburg, SA)
- 2013 The Midnight Projects at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival
- 2012 The Performing the World Conference( New York);dir. Kelly Thomas
- 2011 SEASONS: One Act Play Festival(ATH-New York)
- 2011 The HUB Johannesburg
- 2010 Space.com/Joburg Theatre (Johannesburg,SA) ;dir. Warona Seane
- 2009 Tour - Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa.(Fulbright awardee)
- The MenEngage Africa Symposium; dir. Lindiwe Matshikiza 2009
This section relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Lawrence in American History X
- Denzel in the 2010 movie Night Drive
- Thapelo Mokoena the in 2009 TV series Society
- Tony Nkosi in the 2009 movie Beautiful Contradictions
- Joe Presenter in the 2008 movie Surprise!
- Marine Pastor in the 2008 TV mini-series Generation Kill
- Phil Munroe in the 2007 TV series Ubizo: The Calling
- Manny in the 2006 movie False Prophets
- Washington Lee in the 2006 TV movie Avenger
- Remy in the 2006 TV series Home Affairs
- Dr. Ray Nash in the 2006 TV series Jozi-H
- Thomas Mirama in the 2004 movie Hotel Rwanda
- Samuel in the TV series Person of Interest
- Happy Jack in the TV miniseries The Book of Negroes
- Cam Stocker in the TV series 24
- "The Practice"
- "Maximum Bob"
- "Philly (TV series)"
- "Karen Sisco"
- "Jacob's Cross"
- "Ga Re Dumele"
- "4play: sex tips for girls"
- Generations (South African TV Series)
- New York Undercover: Toy Soldiers
- The District
- The Agency
- Ga Re Dumele
- The Practice
- "Masked and Anonymous"
- "The Sum of All Fears"
- The DJ Diary (Soundquest/ Soul Candi)
- Appears on Candi Roots Volume 3
- Step and Rock (Musa Manzini/Manzini Entertainment)
- Body Poetry
- Appears on BBB Music Series (Compilation/Universal)
- We Dance We Pray ( Album) Antonio Lyons/ Soul Candi)
- Mama Papa
- Lonely Road
- If I Gave You
- Soul Musiq
- Preacher Man
- My Hearts Truth: Vol. I
- My Africa
- We Dance We Pray
- Give Me That God Stuff
- Appears on Unleashed (Rowick Deep/Soul Candi)
- Uhuru Soul (Soltek)
- House Nation 2011
- Appears on For the Love of house- Special edition (DJ Euphonik/ Soul Candi)
- Suga Foot (G. FamilyPhat Suga Drop Remix)/ Suga Foot (Rocco's Dub Remix)
- What If ( G. Family Corner Cafe Mix/ What If (Jesus Gonsev Remix)
- Appears on the Human Jewels EP (Trouble Kids Records/Spain)
- Presidenial Intro
- House Nation
- Appears on For the Love of House 2 – The Politics of Dance (Dj Euphonik /Soul Candi )
- Hot Steppin' Lady (Dj Clock/Wot Recordings)
- Remixes: Nick Holder Remix (Appears on For the Love of House 2)/ Brett Jackson & Orion Mix/ Conscious Start Mix)
- Medicine Man
- Appears on Maf & So : Remixed and Revisited (Dj Mbuso&Jerah/ Shelter Records)/ MedicineMan (M&S Pick Up Mix), Appears on House Flavaz fosho 3/SoulCandi/SABC1
- Joburg City
- Appears on Room Service (Jenerik Soulz)
- Night Shift (G. Family/ Real Tone Records/France)
- Remixes (Main Mix/ Phoonshal Dub Mix/ Dubin Dark Dub Mix)
- My House
- Appears on The Book of Revolution (Revolution/Universal)
- Human Jewels (the album) (Antonio Lyons/ Groundworks Music/ Soul Candi)
- What If
- Sugar Foot
- Human Jewels
- Sunday Morning
- Deep With In
- Life Desn’t Change
- Hustler High
- Bluest Days
- Down By The Riverside
- Magical Carpet Ride
- Meu Enamarado
- Body Poetry
- Appears on A Taste of Home (Kunle Ayo/ Bulla Music)
- Close Your Eyes (Troydon/Freerange Records/UK)
- Appears on Freerange Records Colour Series: Red 03 (compilation/UK)
- Step Away (Musa Manzini/Manzini Entertainment/ Sheer)
- Appears on Simply Life (Musa Manzini/Manzini Entertainment/ Sheer)
- Mbuso's Revenge 2005
- Appears on Shades of Maf & So (Dj Mbuso/ Soul Candi/ Sheer House)
- Blue Bass
- Appears on My Bass (Musa Manzini/Manzini Entertainment/ Sheer)
- Appears on the Best of Musa Manzini (2009)(Musa Manzini/Manzini Entertainment/ Sheer)
- Desert Moon
- Appears on It's Me Now (Andile/ Heita Music Entertainment/Sony BMG)
- Saturday Night (Undo Music/US)
- Appears on Definition of House(Dj Fresh)
- Body Poetry
- Appears on Smallz Sweet Soundz (Iggy Smallz/Revolution/David Gresham/Gallo)
- "ANTONIO DAVID LYONS - STAR GIST CELEBRITY PROFILE: PART 1". YouTube. Google Inc. 6 April 2014. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Antonio Lyons". HowlRound. Emerson College. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- Blignaut, Charl (30 November 2016). "The Unseen: Namibia's new school". City Press. News24. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- Harbour, Tarryn (3 December 2010). "Play gives voice to traditionally silent males". Mail & Guardian. Mail & Guardian Online. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- Newman, Latoya (23 June 2016). "Coming home to yourself". IOL. IOL. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- Owen, Therese (17 August 2011). "Exploring intimate musical journeys". IOL. IOL. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- Sellers, John (27 July 2009). "Curb-Stomp — An Oral History of the Grisly 'American History X' Scene". TRUE/SLANT. True/Slant. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- Shifferaw, Abel (18 February 2016). "A New Film Looks To Tell 'The Unseen' Stories Of Post-Colonial Namibia". okayafrica. international edition. okayafrica.com. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "The last-chance hotel". www.theage.com.au. The Age Company Ltd. 26 February 2005. Retrieved 15 December 2016.