Economist and academic
|Institution||New York University|
|Alma mater||Bocconi University (Laurea)|
New York University (Ph.D.)
Antonio Merlo was born in Italy in 1963. A first-generation college graduate, he received a Laurea summa cum laude in economics and social sciences from Bocconi University in Milan in 1987. Merlo emigrated to the United States in 1988 and earned a PhD in economics from New York University in 1992.
Merlo began his academic career in 1992 as an assistant professor of economics at the University of Minnesota, where he was promoted to associate professor with tenure in 1998. Between 1998 and 2000 he held a joint appointment in the Department of Economics and the Department of Politics at New York University. In 2000, he joined the faculty at the University of Pennsylvania, where he held the Lawrence R. Klein Chair of Economics and the Directorship of the Penn Institute for Economic Research (PIER) until 2014. He was also the chair of the economics department from 2009 to 2012. In 2014, Merlo joined Rice University as the George A. Peterkin Professor of Economics, the chair of the economics department, and the Founding Director of the Rice Initiative for the Study of Economics (RISE). From 2016 to 2019, he served as dean of the Rice University School of Social Sciences. In 2019, Merlo returned to his alma mater as the Anne and Joel Ehrenkranz Dean of NYU's Faculty of Arts and Science and Professor of Economics. 
In 2012, Merlo was elected a Fellow of the Econometric Society. His areas of expertise are political economy, policy analysis, public economics, bargaining theory and applications, and empirical microeconomics. His research interests include the economics of crime, voting, the career decisions of politicians, the formation and dissolution of coalition governments, the industrial organization of the political sector, household bargaining and the study of the residential housing market. He has published numerous articles in the leading journals in the profession, including the American Economic Review, Econometrica, the Journal of Political Economy, and the Review of Economic Studies.
- The Ruling Class Management and Politics in Modern Italy (with Tito Boeri and Andrea Prat, Oxford University Press, 2010) ISBN 9780199588282
- Political Economy and Policy Analysis (Routledge, 2019) ISBN 9781138591776
Other leadership positions
From 2008 to 2014, Merlo was the Head Coach of the men's water polo team of the University of Pennsylvania. He led the Penn Quakers to three championship titles in the Mid-Atlantic Division of the Collegiate Water Polo Association (CWPA) in 2008, 2010, and 2013, the 2013 Ivy League Collegiate Club Championship, and a fifth place finish at the National Collegiate Club Championship in 2013. From 2016 to 2019, Merlo was the Head Coach of the men's and women's water polo teams at Rice University. In 2013, 2017, and 2018, he won Coach of the Year in the CWPA men's Mid-Atlantic Division, women's Texas Division, and men's Texas Division, respectively.
Antonio Merlo is married to Dr. Gia Merlo, a triple board certified physician in adult psychiatry, child & adolescent psychiatry, and lifestyle medicine. They have two children, Monisha Lewis and Martina Merlo.
- "NYU Names Antonio Merlo as Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science". NYU News. 5 March 2019. Retrieved 5 March 2019.
- "Antonio M. Merlo Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). Rice University Department of Economics. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- "Institute for Economic Research: Antonio Merlo". University of Pennsylvania Almanac. 6 November 2001. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Brotzen, Franz. "Economics' New Course". Rice Magazine. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- "Rice economist Antonio Merlo named dean of Rice's School of Social Sciences". Rice University News & Media. 23 March 2016. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- "NYU appoints new FAS Dean". Washington Square News. 5 March 2019. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- "Merlo to return to alma mater NYU to become dean of the faculty of arts and science". Rice University News & Media. 5 March 2019. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- "2012 Election of Fellows". The Econometric Society. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- "Antonio Merlo". Rice University Department of Economics. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Boeri, Merlo, Prat (2010). The Ruling Class: Management and Politics in Modern Italy. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199588282. Retrieved 10 August 2018.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Merlo, Antonio (2019). Political Economy and Policy Analysis. Routledge. ISBN 9781138591776. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- "Rice economist authors first-of-its-kind political economy textbook". Rice University News & Media. 6 December 2018. Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- DiSanti, Jill (11 October 2013). "Seven-Time Water Polo Champions at Penn to Host Ivy League Competition". Penn Today. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Modi, Sushaan (23 October 2013). "Penn water polo floating to the top". The Daily Pennsylvanian. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- "2013 Men's Club Schedules". Collegiate Water Polo Association. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Costanzo, James. "In The Zone". Rice Magazine. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- "2013 Men's Club All-Conference". Collegiate Water Polo Association. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- "2017 Women's Collegiate Club All-Conference". Collegiate Water Polo Association. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- "2018 Men's Collegiate Club All-Conference". Collegiate Water Polo Association. Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- "Merlo certified in lifestyle medicine". Baylor College of Medicine. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Renowned economist Antonio Merlo named chair of Department of Economics". Rice University News & Media. 14 March 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2018.