Facade of Teatro San Carlo
Antonio Niccolini (21 April 1772 – 8 May 1850) was an Italian architect, scenic designer, and engraver.
Niccolini was born in San Miniato al Tedesco, Tuscany. He is best known for rebuilding the interior of the Teatro di San Carlo after it burned down in 1816. He was also an active scenographer for the theater. Raffaele del Ponte was one of his pupils. He published a number of treatises on architecture from Pompeii and Herculaneum, including:
- Descrizione della gran terma puteolana, volgarmente detta Tempio di Serapide By A. Niccolini (1846) Naples, Stamperia Reale.
- Real museo borbonico, Volumes 1 - 15, Museo Nazionale di Napoli, by A. Niccolini.
- Views and Restorations of the Monuments of Pompeii, by A. Niccolini.
- Quadro in musaico scoperto in Pompei a di 24 ottobre 1831, by A. Niccolini (1832)
- Sul ritratto di Leone X dipinto da Raffaello di Urbino e sulla copia di Andrea del Sarto, by A. Niccolini (1841), Stamperia Reale, Naples.
He died in Naples, aged 78.
- ^ Houses and Monuments of Pompeii: The Work of Fausto and Felice Niccolini, by Roberto Cassanelli, Pier Luigi Ciapparelli, Enrico Colle, and Massimiliano David. (2001), page 23
- ^ Ricerche su l'origine, su i progressi, e sul decadimento delle arti, 1821, by Giovanni Battista Gennaro Grossi, page 30.