He started writing film reviews for famous Italian cinema magazines such as Bianco e Nero and Cinema. As a screenwriter, Pietrangeli's work included Ossessione directed by Visconti, Fabiola by Blasetti, Europa '51 by Rossellini, and La lupa by Lattuada.
His directing debut was Il sole negli occhi (1953). Career highlights include Io la conoscevo bene (1965) and Adua e le compagne (1960). He won Nastro d'Argento for Best Director for Io la conoscevo bene.
- Honeymoon Deferred (1951)
- Il sole negli occhi (1953)
- Girandola 1910 – Episode of Amori di mezzosecolo (1953)
- Lo scapolo (1955)
- March's Child (1957)
- It Happened in Rome (Souvenir d’Italie) (1957)
- Adua e le compagne (1960)
- Ghosts of Rome (Fantasmi a Roma) (1961)
- La parmigiana (1963)
- La visita (1963)
- The Magnificent Cuckold (Il magnifico cornuto) (1964)
- Io la conoscevo bene (1965)
- Fata Marta – Episodio de Le fate (1966)
- How, When and with Whom (Come, quando, perché) (1969)
- Pinkerton, Nick (3 December 2015). "A Kind of Loving". ARTFORUM. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
|This article about an Italian film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|