Antonio Smith (defensive end)
Smith with the Oakland Raiders
|No. 94 Houston Texans|
|Date of birth:||October 21, 1981|
|Place of birth:||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||290 lb (132 kg)|
|High school:||Oklahoma City (OK) Marshall|
|NFL Draft:||2004 / Round: 5 / Pick: 135|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 5, 2016|
Antonio DeShonta Smith (born October 21, 1981), is an American football defensive end for the Houston Texans of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Oklahoma State, and was drafted by the Arizona Cardinals in the fifth round of the 2004 NFL Draft. Smith has also played Denver Broncos and Oakland Raiders.
Smith was drafted 135th overall in the 2004 NFL Draft and was the starting left defensive end. During the 2008 NFL Season, Smith played in every game and had 2 forced fumbles and 3.5 sacks. Smith helped the Cardinals reach Super Bowl XLIII, but lost 27-23 to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Despite a great performance during the course of the season, the Cardinals chose not to re-sign him and let him go into free agency.
In 2013, Smith was suspended for week one after an incident in the preseason in which he removed Miami Dolphins lineman Richie Incognito's helmet and swung it at him. On November 29, 2013, he was fined $15,750 for hitting Jacksonville Jaguars' quarterback Chad Henne in the head and neck region.
On March 14, 2014, Smith signed a two year, $9 million contract with the Oakland Raiders and played defensive tackle in the Raiders base 4-3 defense. He was released by the Raiders on March 31, 2015.
Second stint with the Texans
On September 28, 2016, Smith was signed by the Texans.
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
- GP: games played
- COMB: combined tackles
- TOTAL: total tackles
- AST: assisted tackles
- SACK: sacks
- FF: forced fumbles
- FR: fumble recoveries
- FR YDS: fumble return yards
- INT: interceptions
- IR YDS: interception return yards
- AVG IR: average interception return
- LNG: longest interception return
- TD: interceptions returned for touchdown
- PD: passes defensed
Smith has two children, Antonio Smith Jr. (2003) and Winter Smith (2009).
Smith, along with his sister Antwonette, founded Smith's Little People With Big Challenges Foundation. The organization's mission is to fight childhood obesity.
- "Oklahoma State Profile". okstate.com.
- "Texans C Myers, DE Smith added to Pro Bowl roster". abclocal.go.com. Retrieved January 19, 2012.
- McIntyre, Brian (August 20, 2013). "Report: Texans DE Antonio Smith to be suspended for Week 1 after helmet swinging incident". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- Schefter, Adam. "Former Texans DE Antonio Smith just signed a 2-year, $9M deal with the Raiders.". Twitter. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- Florio, Mike. "Antonio Smith lands with Broncos". Pro Football Talk. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "Texans sign DE Antonio Smith". HoustonTexans.com. Retrieved September 28, 2016.
- "Antonio Smith Stats". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 18 September 2014.
- Kiszla, Mark (February 3, 2016). "Father of Antonio Smith of Broncos dies after complications from heart surgery". The Denver Post. Retrieved February 4, 2016.