Antonio de la Rúa
Antonio de la Rúa
Antonio de la Rúa in 2009
Antonio de la Rúa Pertiné
March 7, 1974
Daniela Ramos (2012–present)
Antonio de la Rúa Pertiné (born March 7, 1974) is an Argentine lawyer, and the son of former Argentine president, Fernando de la Rúa (who governed Argentina from 1999 to 2001) and Inés Pertiné. He was an advisor to his father during his father's presidency and one of the heads of his father’s presidential campaign.
Though de la Rúa held no formal position in his father's government, he was the chief architect of his father's election campaign; his success led his father to continue to turn to him for political advice after his assumption of the presidency. He was pointed to as the leader of the "Sushi set" (El grupo sushi), a group of young officials so-called due to their alleged preference for expensive Japanese cuisine; they were sometimes criticised for their influence on politics. After the collapse of the de la Rúa presidency, de la Rúa focused his energies on philanthropy and distanced himself from politics, thus marking the end of the influence of the "Sushi Group".
de la Rúa was a target of paparazzi coverage after his father became president. In 2000, he started dating the Colombian singer Shakira, in a romance that made headline news all over Latin America. He and Shakira had been seen together at many important events, including visiting with Dominican Republic former president Hipólito Mejía and U.S. President Barack Obama.
On January 10, 2011, Shakira announced on her website that after 11 years together, she and de la Rúa had separated in August 2010 after making "a mutual decision to take time apart from [their] romantic relationship." She wrote that the couple "view this period of separation as temporary and as a time of individual growth as [they] continue to be partners in [their] business and professional lives", with de la Rúa overseeing Shakira's "business and career interests as he has always done." In September 2012, he filed a lawsuit for $250 million against Shakira. His lawsuit was dismissed by a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge in August 2013.
In December 2006 de la Rua together with a group of prominent Latin American businessmen and artists founded ALAS Foundation. Foundation ALAS is a non-profit organization that promotes Early Childhood Development in Hispanic America.
Foundation ALAS had Nobel Prize winner Gabriel García Márquez as its Honorary President. Its founding members include Carlos Slim, Alejandro Santo Domingo, Antonio de la Rua, Alejandro Soberon, Alejandro Bulgheroni among other businessmen, and artists Shakira, Fher Olivera, Alejandro Sanz, Juan Luis Guerra and Diego Torres. On February 22, 2010, Antonio de la Rúa and Shakira were invited to the White House where they discussed with President Barack Obama the importance of investing in Early Childhood Development Policies.
- "Antonio de la Rúa". Televisa Espectaculos. 2009. Archived from the original on 4 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-17.
- "Yo me borro: Antonio de la Rúa decidió alejarse de la política". 3 Puntos. Retrieved 2007-07-09.[permanent dead link]
- Wilson, Bee (2002-01-14). "Meat Wars". The New Statesman. Retrieved 2007-07-09.
- Litre, Gabriela. "El grupo sushi, a punto de abandonar la escena política". La Nación. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-07-09.
- Seiffert, Daniel. "Sushi filantrópico" (in Spanish). Revista Noticias. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2007-07-09.
- "France, 1/10/2011". Shakira.com. 2011-01-10. Archived from the original on 12 January 2011. Retrieved 2011-01-10.
- Moreno, Carolina (9 September 2012). "Antonio de la Rúa, Shakira's Ex-Boyfriend, Sues Star For $900 Million". Huffington Post. Retrieved 24 September 2012.
- "Shakira Wins: Ex-Boyfriend's Lawsuit Dismissed, Singer "Could Not Be Happier Now"". E! News. August 2, 2013. Retrieved October 10, 2016.
- Shakira's Children, the New York Times 2009/06/07
- "About ALAS". Archived from the original on 2008-11-21. Retrieved 2009-06-15. About Alas
- ALAS leadership Archived January 5, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- ALAS activists Archived January 5, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- Barack Obama recibió en el Salón Oval a Shakira y su novio Antonio de la Rúa
|This Argentine biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|